Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishbulb

Problem with Shimano Surf Bag

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

So I picked up a Shimano bag a few weeks ago and I've really taken to it. I like how the tubes can be split with dividers, the way it's organized and how well it stays shut. The bucktail holder is also a really nice feature.

However I've had two incidents already where a hook has snagged the liner on the fabric on top.

The first time I was able to wait until I got home and crush the barb and back it out with minimal damage aside from the hole that was already created. The second time I was out on the water and I couldn't close the bag. While trying to gently ease it out I ended up ripping the material and now have a solid half inch gash.

I'd like to try and repair the tears in the fabric before they completely unravel. The hard part is figuring out what to use. I want something that will bind the material together effectively, but not create too high of a bump that a hook might catch on.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Do this. Buy aquaseal. Spread the stuff in a good layer over the fabric flap. Let dry overnight. I did this with my aquaskinz bag and no more hooks in the fabric!

^^^^Try his trick^^^^.

I have had nothing but bad times with the very same bag. Snags, hooks getting caught in the drain holes and in my opinion, those dividers are useless. I still use it because I cant afford the bag I want at the moment but as soon as I do, This one is getting kicked to the curb. In fact I have a treble stuck in it right now.

I emailed Shimano and they offered to replace the bag under warranty.

Unfortunately as it's the middle of the season I can't just go without for awhile. They were kind enough to offer to let me return it at my leisure when I have the chance to do so.

I can see how the dividers would be an issue though. The slots in them seemed like a questionable idea. However as I tend to throw smaller hardware they have great appeal to me.

I've been abusing my Shimano bag this season, absolutely zero problems so far. I tossed the silly dividers, but otherwise couldn't be happier.

I ve put my two through some serious mileage, over the last 3 years and haven't had that problem yet. I picked up a 10 tube propac to hold some larger swimmers and it has happened twice in the last two weeks.

Just so you know the clear vinyl by the jig area is not wormproof. So if you put ronz tails or hogies down there it will melt it. Great bag for small to medium stuff. Big slope heads and average needles will not fit however. The only thing i don't like about it is with all that great storage on the outside you kinda force yourself to put about ten pounds of tin and bucktail to fill all the spotsbiggrin.gif

That aquaseal trick sounds like a pretty good idea, anybody think clear silicone caulk or aquarium glue would do the trick for less/easier to apply tube?

Aquaseal ! great idea, I wish I had thought of it before I cut it off ! Which worked for me by the way but now I have to glue down the bottom edge, construction glue should do it.

View PostI emailed Shimano and they offered to replace the bag under warranty.

Unfortunately as it's the middle of the season I can't just go without for awhile. They were kind enough to offer to let me return it at my leisure when I have the chance to do so.

I can see how the dividers would be an issue though. The slots in them seemed like a questionable idea. However as I tend to throw smaller hardware they have great appeal to me.

One thing I can say for Shimano is you really never hear any negative feedback about their customer service.

View PostAnyone has any suggestion on how to reduce the rattling noise of the lures as they hit the plastic containers when you walk?

Thanks,

Alex.

There are a few...

1) Stop walking

2) Remove all hooks and other hardware from your plugs before you move. Replace them when you get to your destination.

3) Wrap all of you lures in pipe insulation.

wink.gifwink.gif

Unfortunately, none of those are very practical. I just live with the noise. The fish don;t seem to mind and it actually is kind of comforting on a long walk in the dark...

View PostOne thing I can say for Shimano is you really never hear any negative feedback about their customer service.

Aye.

Considering the situation, they know I'm likely to run the thing into the ground and ship it back to them to get a new one. It doesn't bother them, and that counts for alot with me.

Of course, the question remains whether they're just going to send me another one with the same material that's likely to have the same results.

View PostYou can get into a rhythm during the walk and sound like a one man band with all the rattling and flopping feet on the sand and the rustling of the waders.

One of my friends coined the phrase "Belling Of The Fisherman" in response to the sound one of our buddies made when we would walk with surf bags.

I'm sure Aquaseal works great, but it is pricey. I took a suggesting to repair my surfbag to keep the hooks from snagging. Plastic-dip. Stuff is cheap compared to Aquaseal, and it took care of the problem.

I personally like the black dividers. It works great for smaller lures like separating Bombers, Mag Darters, SP minnows etc. Both of my mesh pockets are falling apart some but after 4 years I'm pretty happy with the Shimano bag.