Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott Charlton

mackerel

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Please help, my son (and I of course) love to catch macks. But they are so oily, I need a receipie that will make a child enjoy it! So far, I can only get him to eat baked / fried / broiled haddock.

Do you bleed and slush your macs the moment they hit the boat?

If not, start there!

Veracruz might be a good way to prepare it. This has tomatoes, capers, onion, lemon etc. The big bright flavors marry well with the rich mackerel and cut the fat nicely.

This would be a baked dish, so be sure not to overcook it.

The rule of thumb is, 10 min @ 350deg per 1" of thickness.

Remove from the oven and let rest for five minutes before serving.

If you do the Veracruz, you might want to precook the veg in a non reactive pan with some olive oil, make room for the fish, top with the mix and put it in the oven to finish.

fry the fillets w/ a coat of panko crumbs in some butter oil in a pan. Make sure you cut off the blood line next to the skin and cut out the pin bone section.

Had them fresh for the first time after a cod fishing trip and they were better tasting than the bland cod (though it sounds like your son would like cod ;-) The mackeral fillets were tiny from the 7" mackeral but they were surprisingly tasty (not really fishy like the pickled mackeral you get as sushi)..

If he's from Maine, he's talking about Atlantic mackeral, Scomber Scombersomething.

If in doubt, bake with tomatoes or citrus. If adventurous, skewer with a stick and rotate over hot coal, skin on and scales off. If feeling Eastern, fillet and treat like sushi - mackerel is GREAT sushi. Love the stuff.

I liked the look of mackerel Emerill cooked once, Fall River Portuguese style. Score the flanks, rub on hot pepper, garlic and s/p, then good coating corn meal and flour mix and fry crispy. It was served with some sort of sauce on the side, tomato onion and pepper or similar. I'm sure it would be on Food netwok site.

I bleed my Spanish Mackerel as soon as it comes off the hook, I fillet them with skin on. Paint the flesh side with a mix of coarse salt, fresh cracked pepper and olive oil, score the skin side with a cross hatch pattern. Grill on open flame, cook til medium done. Set it aside(it will carry over and finish cooking) I make a tomato,garlic,scallion,habenro,cilantro balsamic (no salt and pepper in salsa)salsa that goes on top. matches well with a Riesling.

View PostI bleed my Spanish Mackerel as soon as it comes off the hook, I fillet them with skin on. Paint the flesh side with a mix of coarse salt, fresh cracked pepper and olive oil, score the skin side with a cross hatch pattern. Grill on open flame, cook til medium done. Set it aside(it will carry over and finish cooking) I make a tomato,garlic,scallion,habenro,cilantro balsamic (no salt and pepper in salsa)salsa that goes on top. matches well with a Riesling.

Sounds good! clapping.gif

Used to bleed, score the skin and right on the smoky low heat fire as is. (called it "quick smoked")

To eat, pull skin back from centerline. Eat off the bone.

If cooked right away you don't need to remove the entrails.

A nice honey/butter/cinnamon sauce on exposed meat is nice too.

Maybe a roasted red pepper and a sweet 'tatoe too? wink.gif

Apple / hickroy smoked makes a fine meal.

Cook fish higher, tatoes low. When tatoes are done the fish is smoked and the peppers are roasted.