Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doctor Striper

Surfcasting Acadia

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hey all, I am going up to Maine the last week of June this year for some camping and most importantly, fishing. Has anyone heard of stripers making it to the somes sound area in June? Last year around that time, although I was aiming for stripers, I was killing macs with a superstrike little neck popper. I thought it was kinda strange, considering the lure was half the size of the fish. I also caught a good number of them with the hook in the tail. Does that seem strange to anyone?

You might possibly stumble onto some stripers in late June...I'm sure many on this board will disagree with that statement...That area is can be very unpredictable...however, a few years back noted fly tyer Dave Klausmeyer wrote a great article in Saltwater Fly Fishing magazine about the incredible Striper fishing that was taking place on many of the rivers and bays of downeast Maine...and very few people even knew about it...while that region did indeed enjoy some brisk fishing apparently it has tailed off...but hey, who knows what this season will bring. I'd definetly come prepared and come with an open mind.

As for the macks...as you already know...you're gonna slay em...It's not at all unusual for them to slash at anything moving quickly through the water often becoming foulhooked...

Hey have a great trip...who knows what this seasons tides may bring.

P.S. try to get in touch with Pete Douvargo...he's the local downeast striper guru he might be able to provide some valued insight...I can PM you his email

Hey super-fly, thanks for the info. A little bit of hope goes a long way! The striper run here in NY started slow, but they came in with a fury in early may. So maybe the Somes Sound will produce some big fish this year. I really appreciate all the info, and if you could PM me Pete Douvargo email I would love to get some advice on plug selection. Thanks again, and tight lines!

George- Anything in your neighborhood yet? Some reports of fish in the Penobby in Bangor. I haven't really been out yet.mad.gif (well, except for those 3 days in Barnstablewink.gif )

View PostGeorge- Anything in your neighborhood yet? Some reports of fish in the Penobby in Bangor. I haven't really been out yet.mad.gif (well, except for those 3 days in Barnstablewink.gif )

Yeah...I've been getting a handful of fish...no big numbers yet though...and no 16"-18" twinks...all fish so far have been in the slot...and up around that place where we met up last season.

View PostYeah...I've been getting a handful of fish...no big numbers yet though...and no 16"-18" twinks...all fish so far have been in the slot...and up around that place where we met up last season.

Roger- see you there next Saturday AM, hopefully.beers.gif

I live on the east side of frenchmans bay. I dig bloodworms and spend a lot of time in the rivers. I have only seen a few fish in sullivan in taunton river north of bridge. Do a lot of striper fishing but nothing really yet. Been working the eastern bay at mount desert narrows and havn't seen any there. I like to fish the more seaward beachs around schoodic point. last year no stripers at all but the year before was awsome. Have seen good stripers and also blue fish in past years. Some of the down east rivers get crazy sometimes. Fish all week and only see one or two fisherman just ain't right. Tight Lines BARKSPUD

"I live on the east side of frenchmans bay. I dig bloodworms... "

Barkspud, did you mean that are from Grenwich Village, are about 65 years old, and you like bloodworms OR did you mean that you harvest bloodworms? All kidding aside, how does one find them to harvest?

Well bass haul we go out on the mud flats at low water with a head lamp and get them like you would night crawlers. No seriously we dig them with worm hoes specially built for digging mud. We dig them out of mud flats from about 1 1\\2 hours before to 1 1/2 hrs after low water. You can get bloods or sands I just dig bloods.

There's an outside chance.

I've got a place on Swans Island and while last year was a total loss, we've had good bass action in July and August in some prior years.

A couple of years back we were fishing for macks with freshwater largemouth bass tackle (7ft 1 handed rods, 4000 size spinning reels, 10lb test), turned out the macks were getting chased by bass in the 28-36 inch range. I found out because one ate a mack that I had caught on a diamond jig and hooked himself in the process.

We wised up and started live lining the macks, they were getting pummeled. What a fight on that kind of tackle! You'd almost get spooled on every one. Great day.

I live lined tinker mackerel for hours on end last summer and all I caught were big mackerel. I had no idea big macks would eat little ones. I caught some corker sized macks!

View Post"I live on the east side of frenchmans bay. I dig bloodworms... "

Barkspud, did you mean that are from Grenwich Village, are about 65 years old, and you like bloodworms OR did you mean that you harvest bloodworms? All kidding aside, how does one find them to harvest?

I go out and pick some up while I'm clamming. Dig in the mud when the tide's out, they're not hard to find.