Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big E

Atlantic Beach

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I will be in Atlantic beach next week and was wondering if I should bring a surf rod with me? Are there any good piers or jetties to fish?

Thanks,

Eric

The jetties at Fort Macon can be good places for spanish, blues and flounder this time of year. The entire island especially around Pine Knoll Shores, Salter Path and the inlet at the south end of the island has great spots for surf fishing. Bogue Inlet Pier is a good pier close by. The best time is at night and early morning as the water is starting to warm. Most casts are relatively short ones. Don't need a Hatteras heaver.

This past week, they have been catching spanish mack's off the piers and surf along with some smaller blues. The flounder are starting to show up. There are two piers on the Atlantic Beach end of the island, the Oceanna and the Sheraton. The other is Bouge Inlet pier, about 23 miles down the road in Emerald Isle. There is a jettie(s) in Fort Macon, but they are not like the jetties up north. This are VERY short. They do hold fish like sheephead and flounder, but aren't really designed to fish off of.

Tonight starts the week long 51th Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament, One of the evenings you may want shoot over to Big Rock Landing in Morehead for the Weight-ins.

I hope this gave to some more information Eric, once you are in Atlantic Beach if I can help you out more, stop in and see me at Freemans on the causeway, I work there most evenings, I or anybody there will glady point you in the right direction.

Have a Safe drive

TP

Got a call from my buddy who is already down in Atlantic beach. Landed a 36 red drum in front of the beach house Tuesday night on mullet. Hopefully I can land one when I join them Wednesday night.

Made to Emerald Isle and not Atlantic beach. Fishing has been so so. Using frozen finger mullet. Nothing but doggies. Caught a couple at 30+ inches and lots and lots of small doggies. Ran into a couple of blues also. Had a couple of strong pulls but lost the fight after a min. Cut the line.

FYI, the island is called Emerald Isle. There is also a town on the island called Emerald Isle at the south end. Atlantic Beach is at the north end across from Morehead City and Beaufort.

Have you tried Bogue Inlet pier. Tarpon schools are moving along the coast now and the former State record tarpon(175lbs.) was caught from there in Sept. of 05 by a 16 year old.

View PostFYI, the island is called Emerald Isle. There is also a town on the island called Emerald Isle at the south end. Atlantic Beach is at the north end across from Morehead City and Beaufort.

Have you tried Bogue Inlet pier. Tarpon schools are moving along the coast now and the former State record tarpon(175lbs.) was caught from there in Sept. of 05 by a 16 year old.

Thanks for the info. I was at the south end of Emerald Isle. I wish I could of stayed an extra day and fish but had to be back home to work this weekend. Had a blast. Thanks everyone. I ll be asking questions when August rolls around. I may have to take another trip. heart.gif