Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Emeril02915

Squirrels in the Garden

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I started a garden this year using raised beds in the back yard. I planted 53 corn plants and they were growing great. Then when they reached about eight inches tall the in came the squirrels and they have eaten 30 of the plants. It seems they just chew the stems off.mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Here is the question what I can I do to keep them from eating any more plants. I want to plant some more seeds this weekend but I don't want the little buggers to get anymore of the remaining plants or any of the new ones once they start growing. Is there anything I can do to stop them?

Maybe some chemical warfare like spraying the plants and surrounding area with some dilluted cayenne pepper?

What do you think?

If it is anything like my area, shooting/trapping them is shovelling against the tide.

The cayenne should work, but you have to renew it after every rain/watering. You sure it is squirrels and not racoons? Never really heard of squirrels being a problem with corn plants.

Cayenne peppers and squirrels could be an urban myth? I feed the birds a lot. I've alwasy been into that. This winter the squirrels have just took over my feeders. I can't shoot them b/c of where I live.

Researched it online, everyone said apply a good dose of cayenne pepper to my sunflower seeds, then sit back, and watch the fun.shaky.gif

Well, I must have Mexican squirrels, b/c the cayanne only kept them at bay for a few days, and then they came back. Alomst as if they developed a tolerance to the hot pepper (and there was a LOT of cayenne applied).

Now the feeders just sit there empty.mad.gif

View PostCayenne peppers and squirrels could be an urban myth? I feed the birds a lot. I've alwasy been into that. This winter the squirrels have just took over my feeders. I can't shoot them b/c of where I live.

Researched it online, everyone said apply a good dose of cayenne pepper to my sunflower seeds, then sit back, and watch the fun.shaky.gif

Well, I must have Mexican squirrels, b/c the cayanne only kept them at bay for a few days, and then they came back. Alomst as if they developed a tolerance to the hot pepper (and there was a LOT of cayenne applied).

Now the feeders just sit there empty.mad.gif

that could actually backfire

capsaicin (hot pepper active ingredient), is physically addictive

once they develop a taste for it, they might keep coming back

you can trap them, but their numbers will continually increase to fill the available habitat

Bob - you sure they were the same squirrels? If your place is anything like around here, that would be like saying that it was the same mosquito that came back a few days later......wink.gif

As to the bird feeders......if they are on poles, get yourself some 3-4" diameter PVC pipe and put it around the pole........of course, the feeders need to be far enough away from the trees such that the squirrels just don't jump to it, but the PVC pipe trick works......they get 1/4 of the way up (if that), and then just slide right back down......it is pretty funny to watch.....

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to try cayenne pepper and black pepper mixed together. I have raised beds and I was thinking about putting chicken wire around the perimeter of the bed do you think that would work or am I only wasting my time?

I hate to even mention it but the half full bucket of water and floating sunseeds was awfully effective with chipmunks. Can't imagine that a squirrel wouldn't be tempted to walk the plank but you need a strong stomache.

View PostThanks for all the advice. I am going to try cayenne pepper and black pepper mixed together. I have raised beds and I was thinking about putting chicken wire around the perimeter of the bed do you think that would work or am I only wasting my time?

Chicken wire won't work with squirrels........um, they climb...........wink.gif

I had squirrels living in my attic. Nasty!!

Had an exterminator come and he just used Have a Heart traps and took them to the woods far away.

I was not as nice and I used a pellet gun to get rid of a few myself.

Good Luck