Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mmmmmBass

Rod Suggestion (St Croix??)

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Looking for a rod under $150. 10'-11'. I currently have a 9' tica dolphin that i use for the north shore and need something bigger for the south shore. I will be primarily pluggin, no bait. I use a cheapo 11' Penn Pursuit for bait. I am looking at the St. Croix Triumph and Premier (not sure what the difference is; does one cast further? The Premier is an ounce and a half heavier). Also, while I'm at it, what is the best braided line brand and size to use? I have been using power pro for a few yrs and seems fine, but I know they are always coming out with new braid. I appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

lots of people here use power pro without problems, some use it complain about persistent wind knots. others use sufix, which is a bit more expensive, but is a quality line. i bought some sufix a few months ago that was on sale and then used the rebate on sufix's website, so i got it for the same price as power pro. check the sufix website for a rebate offer, i think they are doing it until september.

St. Croix Premier is US Made, comes in 1/2 sizes ("ie 8 1/2 ft", not a big fan of 1/2 sizes) better tip top and guides then the Triumph and the blank is woven above the handle.

St. Croix Triumph is made in China or overseas somewhere (I think) nice blank (looks/feels the same as the premier without the weave), the guides are not so hot but for the price and St Croix service/warranty you cant beat it.

I have the St. Croix Triumph 10' Surf rod. I am very happy with mine. Picked it up last year. Can't beat the price for what you get.

I had a Triumph 9' medium that worked well until it broke while fishing with it 2 Sundays ago. St. Croix is taking care of it and actually just called me an hour or so ago to tell me my new rod is on the way. The guy that called me asked me if I wanted to step up to a Premier for $60 extra. He said the differences between the Triumph and the Premier is the Premier is made in USA and has glass wrapped into the graphite which makes it load up a little better. They don't make it in a 9' medium, only 8.5' which is a little short for my liking, and a 10' HM 1-4oz. I got the 9' Triumph to throw light stuff like soft plastics, bucktails and Bombers and the 10' Premier would be a little too heavy for that. If I decide to step up to larger wood plugs over 3 oz or heavier I'll get the 10' Premier.

Despite the breakage on my first Triumph I am very happy with it and looking forward to getting out there with my new one. I work in warranty return (automotive) and from my professional standpoint, St. Croix has a A+ 5-year warranty program. Stuff happens, and when you're mass producing anything there's bound to be defective units along the line somewhere. They got my rod 1st thing yesterday morning, called me 1st thing this morning, and my new one will be on the Fedex truck today. Never asked for a receipt or warranty card (rods are serial numbered).

View Postcasting a tsunami rubber shad. It broke where the two halves meet and then about 18" from the tip. I have no idea why.

Strange, not just one break but two. I think the trumph is a great rod. Hopefully you'll have better luck with the new one.