Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sgt15truck

Assateague Island camping/fishing question

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I plan on camping at Assateague Island this weekend in the Maryland State Park. There seems to be quite a few camping lots. Does anyone know the best ones to stay at to be able to walk out on the beach from the site and do some surf fishing?

I will be tent camping if that makes a difference. I have never stayed there before and really want to have a good experience so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to the state park map if this would help in guiding me in the right direction

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclan...teaguemap.html

By reading your post is seems to me that you don't have a reservation????

If you don't have a reservation you will be lucky to get any spot unless things have really changed over the past few years. I would call ahead and make sure there are spots available first.

When you call, ask the receptionist which open sites are closest to the beach. They're looking at a map while they're talking to you so they have the info you want.

make sure you have some real good tie downs for your tent. strong storms pop up quickly and can make a mess out of the campgrounds. It happened this weekend and people are still trying to find their tent!

i always try to get the last site on the left just before the turn like c10 nobody is to the left of you but . on c loop the bath houses are faraway , but i have an old motorhome so i'm fine , ride a bike if ya gotta go lol so thats what i look for bathhouses an its close to the beach , i like fishing there at c10 also .kooky.gif if you do this beers.gif get closer to the BH

Thanks for the help guys. I was able to get the LAST site on the ocean side so kudos to letting me know you needed reservations before I just showed up. I did not know it was that busy there!

View PostI am starting to see a theme here. Should I bring some bug spray?

On a serious note if I do have bug spray will I still be miserable or is it tolerable?cwm31.gif

depends on which way the wind in blowing. West wind and it will be horrible. east wind and it will be nice.

ocean side is worst then bay side ponds of water there an we had a lot of rain ...dust will be the worst time ... skeeter beaters work well, we use to take a citrannala plant with us worked good ... cutter 90% deepalso a fire works well they sell wood on the way in .... they don't spray at the nat pk but do at the state sweats an hoodies work ok ... this helps beers.gif an take one of these beatin.gif

View Postits been reported that some of the smaller trailers have been moved to other sites, swarms of the bigger mosquito's are suspected .

lmao ,,,, be ware of horse dung an copulating near buy they will run threw your tent , don't leave food out its 5 o'clockbeers.gifkooky.gif did you know there are ppl that actual vist the park when the horses are at there peak of copulation just to watch them ,there was a group of them at the main desk talking about it last yr when i was there getting copulaled buy the admin there ,,,, i swear this is true not made up cwm40.gifkooky.gif