Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lamprey

Fish/Depth Finder & GPS combo recommendations

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I toasted the transducer cable and am now thinking of replacing the seperate fish finder and console mounted hand held size GPS with a single large and split screen unit.

Any endorsements, recommendations or cautions?

The budget is pretty open.

Thanks,

Jim

Check out Furuno, Garmin, and Raymarine. Get at least a 7" screen and by all means make sure that they use digital sonar technology.

Those mentioned are all good units; agree to lean towards Raymarine. I've been very happy with my Lowrance too; but it's a 5" and would definately suggest a 7" or larger screen as well.

If you have the bucks and the space, go 10 or 12 inches. I prefer separate instruments but I have used a 12in Garmin and it was very readable in split mode.

For my 18' inshore I went with Garmin. Seperate units.

400 FF w/ duel cone, 520 GPS w/ g2 card. Under $1K

I'm happy with them. Not much room on the console anyways.

I felt a combo even with a bigger screen was smaller when split.

Installation was sweet and easy. beers.gif

I have my eye on the Lowrance HDS-8 but as I understand, the unit has some issues that needs to be tweaked. So I'll wait until next years model and see if they get it straight. Until then I'll stick with my Eagle 640C sonar/gps.

I just bought a Lowrance HDS 8 a few months ago. It's pretty sweet. I haven't had any problems with it. A software update just came out for it, but I did not apply it yet. Side scanning is supposed to be available for it in July.

I have the Lowrance HDS-7 and it is SWEET! The satellite imagery is incredible. I just downloaded the update and it is really a lot faster now. The sonar screen is really awesome too.

The Raymarine is also nice but I like my HDS-7.

we have a brand new 440s and g2 vision card on the way. we can not figure out how to change the name of a way point. is there some way to change them from 001,002 etc to a name we will remember? thankscwm15.gif

View PostI heart.gifheart.gif Garmin 545

I have this unit. I like it. Screen is kind of small though. Wayne TJ is right on with going for 7" or larger screen, if you have the space and the $$$.

View PostI have this unit. I like it. Screen is kind of small though. Wayne TJ is right on with going for 7" or larger screen, if you have the space and the $$$.

I agree when you have it in split (FF/Chart) mode it is a little small. But my space on the console is limited so I went with the 545. If space is not an issue bigger would be better..But I'm also fairly young and have perfect vision. Just my .02