Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
njrisurfcaster

Bridge Lights

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I have scoped out a few places that I'm intersted in night fishing. I'm still pretty new to surf fishing and I haven't attempted it at night yet, but hopefully I will tonight. I have looked over some spots to be aware of whats around and one spot is under a lit suspension bridge. Under the Mt. Hope Bridge in Bristol RI. Would the lights from the bridge make the night fishing not so night anymore? How important is the darkness? The lights from the bridge would make it easier on me, being able to see and all but will it make the fishing less productive?

Thanks

We kayakers find bridge lights to be a fish magnet. There is a line where the shadow of the bridge meets the line of light, this is called the shadow line. Bass generaly sit close to the surface just inside the shadow. Weakfish and blues are generally below them if around. Lately we have ben finding alot of fluke on the bottom below the lights.

We use small rubber leadheaded lures that are simiar in size and shape to the bait in the lights. I like to start with 2 inch and go up from there if I dont have any luck. But before I leave I will drop down to 3/4 inch long rubber and sometimes get a big striped suprise when everything else was ignored. Changing the direction of retreive can make a big difference in wether they hit. Yopu cant realy do this from the bridge or power boat as the prop spinning will scare them off if a boat tries to move around and cast from differnt directions. This is the secret behind yak fishing the fish dont have a clue your there.

Barrell

Look down at the water. See all that bait in the circle of light? Good. See where the bridge deck itself creates a shadow line? And those other shadows that lie outside the circle of light?

Now ask yourself---if you were a predator, where would you be lurking to snatch an easy snack? wink.gif

Ambient light on the water is good. Whether it's from bridge, a wharf, a marina, or whatever. Ambient light creates stable shadow lines---ambush points. It's the sudden burst of light, or the sudden shadow from an object that moves between a light source and the water, that's bad for fishing.

I'm not familar with that bridge--yet wink.gif If bluefish are too numerous, go low & slow and try to sneak it past them biggrin.gif Bring along a bunch of different weight jigs and shad heads so you can make adjustments based on current speed and water depth. Start light and go heavier until you're ticking the bottom every few feet. Don't stop at the shadow line either, there's bass under the bridge picking up scraps from the bluefish wink.gif We're coming up on a full moon, so the current is going to be cranking the next few nights. Work the moon shadows too biggrin.gif