Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Shoe

favorite weather website?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Whats your favorite website for accurate, on the water weather reports? You know, not just partly cloudy, chance of raib BS. Real weather reports with wind direction, speed, barometer, wave height, etc. I'm sick of only finding out the conditions when I get to the beach.

Weather underground and since you are in smithtown you could also use Pluff.com as its covers CT. I also reference the NOAA weather buoys

I use Kings Point and Execution Light. There is the one on the NY/CT border that would probably help you as well.

i use the weather channel site. you can find everything you're looking for there, just might have to search around a little. mostly i look at the wind and the new radar map. you can look at the wind for the next 10 day and get pretty good idea of whats to come. like ALL weather forcasts it does change day to day and sometimes hr to hr.

A Grounds/Landscape manager I worked with a few years back got me on to www.intellicast.com. Has not let me down. He used a couple other sites, but this one was key. Had to know when it was going to rain, snow, etc. as it related to this large corporate campus we managed.

I like weatherunderground.Good animated local radars,and the detailed forecast "predicts" wind every 4 hours.I don't think anyone does a good job on the seabreeze,but that only changes the afternoon wind...not much of a factor planning fishing trips

Check the surfing report pages. The one I use is commercial, so I cannot post it, but they are very accurate. Because even with Weather.com and the like, they are all based on larger city areas because thats the highest use. Even wather-channel's forecast for "seaside heights" is based on Toms river. Anyone that lives on a barrier island, knows that the island is VERY different than the inland cities, even if it is only 3 miles.

Surfing report websites are entirely based on the wind AT THE SHORELINE. Very accurate.

weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/fmtbltn.pl?file=forecasts/marine/coastal/am/amz152.txt&title=Coastal+Marine+Zone+Forecast%3CBR %3EOregon+Inlet+to+Cape+Hatteras,+NC

(you can pick your area)

Or brows weather.noaa.gov

When I'm out on my boat. I use Weather Bug on my phone.It shows me everything I want. The weather station in my area is about 3 miles away from my home on top of a school. It shows me the current temp. wind speed and gust. and samples the wind speeds every 20 seconds. So it is accurate.