Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ahg

Garden pests...

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

The tomato and peppers that I put in last week (thanks SiM) are now all yellowing and have some gray soft insects/fungus growing on the leaves. I tried looking it up but cannot seem to find out what it is. I have to rub these gray looking thingees off the leaves, but they seem to keep coming back. Anyone know what they could be.

I have applied some rotenone/pyrethium spray, that helped control the leaf hoppers and beetles.

View Postmealy bugs maybe

Thanks, I think thats what I got. Whats the best way to get rid of them? From what i read, the most common methods seem to be washing/spraying infected plants with a mild soap water mix OR spraying with an oil/water mix OR rubbing alcohol on the affected areas of plants.

There does not seem to be a pesticide/fungicide that can control mealy bugs? Is that correct?

Thanks.

View PostThanks, I think thats what I got. Whats the best way to get rid of them? From what i read, the most common methods seem to be washing/spraying infected plants with a mild soap water mix OR spraying with an oil/water mix OR rubbing alcohol on the affected areas of plants.

There does not seem to be a pesticide/fungicide that can control mealy bugs? Is that correct?

Thanks.

all those solutions are good ones

i grow Crotons in a greenhouse, which are quite prone to mealy bugs. i treat them with either a 1.5% ultra-fine oil solution or insecticidal soap

the oil is the most benign, but don't apply it if it is too hot (or too cold)

any decent garden center/box store will have it- "Sunspray" is as good as any of them

the insecticidal soap will keep them in check, but phytotoxicicity can be a problem, especially in hot weather and plants in soft, lush growth

if there are only a few:

instead of rubbing alcohol, get isopropyl- a stronger solution (like 91% versus 78% or somewhere in there)

pour it in a cup and dip a smallish, stiffish paint brush in it

poke the little buggers with the wet brush and it should take care of them

there are other things you can use, but the above three really are the best things to use