Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
personguy567

ugly stik surf rod

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

nothing wrong with an ugly stik, just somewhat heavy for long stretches of fishing, especially plugging

also the action is slow or "whippy," which you may or may not like over a fast action

Great for dead sticking....get med/heavy action and you should be okay..

they cast really good and will last a long time....

Now if you are thinking about getting the surf custum uglystik that runs close to

$100 there are better choices out there....i believe there are a few threads

already posted on El cheapo rods...just do a search for that topic

here in the main forum...

beers.gif

They definately have their uses. Mine is used as a jetty plugger, dont see any reason to slip on the rocks and break an expensive Lami Arra or something similar. Tend to have soft, clear tips which can be cut back but do it in small doses.

Need to be specific about which model - there are several .

I have a Shakespeare USCSSP 11102M Ugly Stik Custom Surf

It is a great rod for a beginner that will use it for BOTH bait and lures. The one I bought had a 7 year warranty which was good for me as the 2nd year it cracked and Shakespeare replaced it no questions asked.

I tried a dBlue DB07CSSP902K--M 9' Surf Spinning Rod and honestly I like my ugly stik better. The dBlue is now a back up rod.

v.

My first surf rod was a 10' Ugly Stick. Heavy as hell, but tough as nails. I dare you to break one. And they whip a pencil better than any other rod I have used. Mine was a MH rating, and even with that I had a hard time with any weights over 3 or 4 oz. Becomes a little too floppy at the tip.

View PostMy first surf rod was a 10' Ugly Stick. Heavy as hell, but tough as nails. I dare you to break one. And they whip a pencil better than any other rod I have used. Mine was a MH rating, and even with that I had a hard time with any weights over 3 or 4 oz. Becomes a little too floppy at the tip.

UglyStik is a great pencil rod

View PostI use 8,6" Ugly Surf sometimes and can say is nothing wrong with this rod.

The 8'6" is a good back bay beater something to leave in the car

i have a 12 footer i use in the surf..... its a beast, she's heavy but she will chuck 8 and a noggin like nobodys business.......i have dropped it, kicked it.... still keeps going.....

I have a 10ft Ugly MH Action. It is a very versatile Rod. You can use it from topwater to chunking. Great especially on those windy days when you need the extra muscle to chuck it out there. A little heavy but who said exercise was a bad thing. Also you can beat the price.