Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billyb

CC Canal-What size flouro?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I am going to start fishing the canal for the first time and I read that blues are already in and I was going to use 60 lb flouro and was wondering if this is enough. I was thinking of getting 80lb and tying it with one of those knot tying tools if this will save me some plugs over the season and was just wondering what others recommend. I will be fishing mostly plugs.

i use 40lb big game mono for my leaders...never really seen the need to use flouro for anything other than albies...i catch blues pretty regulary with poppers/pencils and never have them bite off...

As jettyjockey already mentioned, flouro isn't nessesary in the canal. I actually don't even know anyone who uses it?confused.gif I fish #50 Big Game mono leaders on all my stuff.

As for blues, I haven't had a blue actually bite off a lure in the canal in years, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I even caught a blue on the fly rod in the canal the other day, and it didn't bite my fly off, nor damage it.

Save the $$$, and just use plain mono.wink.gif

What are you running as your main line?

If you're running mono you can use however heavy a leader as you want, although I have never used more than 40-50# leaders.

If you're running braid, you want to use a leader that will break before the braid if you hang up. I generally run a 40# leader with 50# braid, as I usually run Big Game braid. bob uses Cortland Master Braid which is wicked strong, so his 50# leader will always break before the braid.

And I use clear Ande Premium mono for leaders. I carry a 1/4 pound spool, about 400 yards, and it lasts 3-4 seasons. It costs less than 25 yards of Seguar flourocarbon.

I'm usually using 40# Triplefish fluorocarbon for my leaders. Once in a while switch to 30 when into rat city. I started using fluorocarbon back when it first became a big "must have" and never stopped. Not sure why...I guess any little advantage helps or I'm just stooopid

I use 30-50 lb mono leader. 30 when its time to screw around and catch some schoolies, 40-50 the rest of the time. I like the triplefish, but most of my spools of it have been filled up with big game. I dont think the leader material matters at all in the canal.