Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
levari

Hand crafted Tsunami lures

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I just saw them on the shelves at Dick. Pencil poppers, Polaris poppers and needles...hand crafted from basswood, made In China. $15 a pop, VMC hooks and triple loops split rings.. Made in China of course.

I used to manufacture "drum Cymbals" in Turkey,

My craftsmen were cocky araogent peasents,

They said that the best cymbals were hand made in Tukey and that no one could make a better hand made cymbal,

I told them "dont get too confident the Chinese are on your tales"

they shrugged it off....

now 10 years latter the chinnese have turned the market inside out buy introducing hand made Chinese cymbals at 80% below the cost of Turkish cymbals. At first they were "not bad" now after a few years they are "as good"...

I am sure glad I left that business, the craftsmen want me back but I am happy that I left because "I saw it coming"

Moral of the story.....

never underestimate the craftsmanship of the Chinese people,

give em time and they will get it right.... and sell it for half what your selling for...

Chinese plugs were a joke 2 years ago,

they still are not perfect,

maybe they will never be a USA plug quality, but at 5 bucks each and able to catch fish to a certain degree they will find a market.

think of them as high end blue fish plugs..smile.gif

The plugs look good and are probably quality enough to get the job done. Only thing that worries me is all the horror stories of Tsunami barrel swivels failing. It seems to happen a lot and if I had to guess I'd think that these plugs used their crappie swivels. Other than that my only gripe is why the need for all the fruity colors....too many fancy rainbows and not enough basics. And...biggest gripe is I saw a prototype slopehead danny that looked very very good, and with a lack of good slopeheads on the market I wanted to try it and sure enough it was just a prototype, they are unavailable for purchase ***?

i got one of the pencil poppers. my brother loved it on the shelf and with my funds it was a good price. fished it once before we had a problem. we were packing up after a day of fishing. i take the tail hook and attach it to one of the rods guides while still attached to my line.

on the walk back i noticed the lure was swimming in mid air. not thinking twice about it i just thought it fell off the guide. we got back to the car and that's when i noticed the hook broke where it connected to the tail of the lure. i took the hook off the guide and try to give it a little bend. it broke in my hand.

after that i've been a little concerned about the rest of the lure. we have since changed both hooks. i just hope if i ever catch a fish with it it stays together.

honestly.. id buy plugs at 5-10$ a pop..

like what said earlier.. cheap bluefish plugs.

itll get the job done.

ive seen some other asian made ones at a local b&t

they are pretty nice, and they have VMC hooks!! 9$ each.

pencils, joints, poppers, needles, all 9$ each.

im not gonna complain.

Just a description of what Ive seen with this plug, it'll catch. A local guy that makes magic wit wood is not only a invaluable tool to all of us, its part of our heritage....Irreplaceable.

At 25 dollars a pop UPs your gonna have to do it , I cant, I'm buying up blanks from guys and kits. Quality is fantastic but 25+ for plugs has just passed to the insane. Not to mention the BST insanity.

View PostAt 25 dollars a pop UPs your gonna have to do it , I cant, I'm buying up blanks from guys and kits from Salty. Quality is fantastic but 25+ for plugs has just passed to the insane. Not to mention the BST insanity.

$25 isn't too bad for a quality product like the pro builders make. but some of us can only splurge on a few a year if we're lucky.

i think we should support the locals and the b&t's as much as we can. but it wouldn't hurt to fill the rest of the bag with some back ups like the tsunami lures.

View PostI don't knowconfused.gif SS needlefish $15; Choopy $14 to $15; AH & Habs Jr, about $22 or so.....I you want me to spend $15 on an unproven Chinese knockoff?kooky.gif

those are great prices for some big name builders. but i never see them on the rack anywhere. not many b&t's by me. and those hardly carry anything in the lure department.

View PostI don't knowconfused.gif SS needlefish $15; Choopy $14 to $15; AH & Habs Jr, about $22 or so.....I you want me to spend $15 on an unproven Chinese knockoff?kooky.gif

View Postthose are great prices for some big name builders. but i never see them on the rack anywhere. not many b&t's by me. and those hardly carry anything in the lure department.

SS Needlefish are that price many places on line.

Choopy right here at SOL store.

AH has own web site as well as many on line dealers.

Habs Jr.redface.gif well some buddies picked up some at RISSA for me.biggrin.gif

Point is there are many, many proven plugs at very decent prices, readily available, that I don't, won't buy a knockoff. I have nothing against Tsunami, use there shads all the time, but can't see the point in getting any of their wood.