Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianM38

Zeebaas concern. Is this normal on a new reel

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I have used my ZX25 a few times and rinse it off after each trip. Today, I pulled off the spool to wash it down and saw this oily mess underneath the spool. It has a brass look to it and looks like fine brass particles (like dry graphite but brass color) Nothing feels wrong with the reel and the mainshaft has no play. Is it just breaking in or is it something I should be concerned with?

Is there anything going on under the spool/drag cover? Does your model have the weird holes on top? Water/sand getting in there and working itself down might be part of the reason. That's all I can think of. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

No, Nothing out of the ordinary from the spool or drag cap. I havent used it in the sand where it would have been a concern yet. Not dunked or splashed. Just normal salt spray from the line. The "mud" as I call it is only under the spool and on top of the rotor. No water in the gears and no leaking anywhere else. IM thinking its grease from the drag washers and with the main shaft wearing in. The reel feels fine but the coin I put out for the reel has me a bit paranoid

wipe off the grease clean, fish it tonight...take a look tomorrow

might have been over packed with grease but most likely a bad gasket

supposedly the color of the lube changes when mixed with water so my guess.......leakage

That's not normal and perhaps it's a well known ZB issue. Shaft seal is leaking. My brand new 22 went back last fall after 3 weeks of use. Got it back in 7 days with new upgraded seal. Kudos to the service department. Contact ZB cause I don't think anyone on SOL can fix your problem.

View PostI'd be concerned. Take off the sideplate and see what it looks like inside. My guess is you have a bad seal.

View PostThat's not normal and perhaps it's a well known ZB issue. Shaft seal is leaking. My brand new 22 went back last fall after 3 weeks of use. Got it back in 7 days with new upgraded seal. Kudos to the service department. Contact ZB cause I don't think anyone on SOL can fix your problem.

Thanks. I just emailed ZB with the concern and the same pictures. Hopefully that will be enough for them to come to a conclusion of what is wrong if anything at all. I will take it out tonight and see if I can get the same problem to happen again.

View Postwipe off the grease clean, fish it tonight...take a look tomorrow

might have been over packed with grease but most likely a bad gasket

supposedly the color of the lube changes when mixed with water so my guess.......leakage

This is exactly what ZB suggested I do when I had the same issue .... I think you are fine, just keep an eye on it.

I am so very impressed that I got a reply back from ZB already. It wasnt even 20 minutes!! Rob has told me that it could be over packed with assembly lube and if it continues, to send it in. Rob if you read this I want to say publicly "Thankyou" for a speedy reply. Great customer service goes a long way with me.

My 2nd generation 27 with the most recent side plate did the same thing the first couple of times I used it. The original gen 2 side plates were a little looser and didn't display this situation through the shaft. The later gen 2's are tighter and I believe cause a little positive pressure in the case when you push them down to seat them. I think this causes a little bit of lube to squeeze out past the shaft seals till the pressure equalizes through use. The lube stopped comming out on mine after a few uses however it reappeared after I removed the side cover to check the condition of the lube in the case. I believe reinstalling the cover caused the reappearance of the lube around the shaft which disappeared again after a few uses.

The color of the lube in your picture is not familiar to me. Check the interior of the case-it should be a red/ pink color. If it looks like the grease around the shaft as in your picture or it is a creamy pink color it is water contaminated and needs to go back.

Good Luckicon14.gif

Marc

View PostMy 2nd generation 27 with the most recent side plate did the same thing the first couple of times I used it. The original gen 2 side plates were a little looser and didn't display this situation through the shaft. The later gen 2's are tighter and I believe cause a little positive pressure in the case when you push them down to seat them. I think this causes a little bit of lube to squeeze out past the shaft seals till the pressure equalizes through use. The lube stopped comming out on mine after a few uses however it reappeared after I removed the side cover to check the condition of the lube in the case. I believe reinstalling the cover caused the reappearance of the lube around the shaft which disappeared again after a few uses.

The color of the lube in your picture is not familiar to me. Check the interior of the case-it should be a red/ pink color. If it looks like the grease around the shaft as in your picture or it is a creamy pink color it is water contaminated and needs to go back.

Good Luckicon14.gif

Marc

The color of the grease is a clear red. Its the same as it was when I bought the reel. Your conclusion would certainly make sense. Especially with a temp change. Im satisfied with Rob's email response to me and I will follow what he has said. The reel is now cleaned up and ready for battle tonight.

That looks like the color of the grease after water intruded the gear case at the quad seal under the rotor. After repacking it heavily I have noticed some grease has escaped adn looks exactly like what you have pictured. Additionally there is a new seal available for the latest reels. I believe its a newly designed seal, and seal cup. Send it in when you get the chance. I will as soon as this run slows don.

View PostSlay em my friend !

Just got in from the battle ground. The battle was well fought even though I couldnt find my opponentcwm13.gif I kind of felt like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. Oh well, I will find them tomorrow. They cant hide forevercwm27.gif

On a bright note, This reel on an ss101ms can cast a country mile and best of all no grease seepage so far and just love the bailless set up