Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

How do YOU work your Howdies and Dooksters?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have a couple of dorksters, gag's flipping mullets larger than 1.5 oz spook type lures, etc and I have had issues trying to walk the dog with these guys. I am fishing a 10 ft and 11 ft XS MHS rod and I have come to the conclusion that I am better just using a pencil popper. I think that the stiffer graphite rods, as good as they all are just can't do it all. I am sure that If I were fishing a 10 ft glass rod I probably could do better.

Don't get me wrong I love spook type lure and fish them a lot is the western sound on an 8ft rod, I just feel that once you get past a 9 ft rod it is just too much of a PIA to do and I don't know that it is worth all of the effort in terms of results to go thru all of the efforts

Might as well just put on a Danny or some type of A-40 that is going to give me a V-type wake on the surface

I say this too because from my experience to work a spook properly I need to drop my rod down to the side to get a proper retrieve. and with the longer rods I think it become inpractical.

This post assumes that I am not going to fish it like a Pencil which obvisously one can do with these lures to be productive.

Just my .02

i bounce the rod tip very light just as the line becomes tight to the plug then i back off the howdy... right when you back off the howdy it darts to the side...

I give the Howdy a pull to the side, and let it dart across the surface. Let it come to rest (mine float almost straight up). Reel in the slack and repeat. They really imitate a wounded baitfish very nicely. I've done well with them.

I fished my first Howdy Saturday, and Sunday, and Monday...most excited I've been about a new plug in a while. It was just OK w/my walk the dog retreive, but slowed way down and with a little extra slack between tip jerks it darted and danced beautifully. Bass seem to think so too--15 fish on the Howdy to three on the rest of my bag.