Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave 1957

Newbie,question

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hi guys,just found this site last week and this is my first post.

I make my own lures for Pike and and Bass,which in the UK a 10 pounder is a big Bass, unlike your Stripers.

Looking at some of the exellent home made lures i noticed that the wire passes right through the lure.How do you do this.

Do you drill the lure or make it in two halfs and glue it around the wire before shaping.?

I am using screw in eyes for my hooks at the moment and they are a bit big and i don,t really trust them.

Any advice would be much appreciated..Thanks

I'm new to building too. My lathe doesn't allow me the capability to through drill on it, so I clamp the piece to my desk (if it's cold or rainy out), or my workbench. I use a cloth between the surface and the plug as not to mar it up. I then just through drill using my cordless drill and various size bits starting with a 1/8" brad point bit. I've lost a few, but am getting much better at it. I drill with regular sized bits (6"?) from each end, then join the two with a longer 12" bit. Then just drill out for the belly hook or hooks, and the weights as needed. Not fool proof by any stretch, and certainly is slow, but if on a tight budget it works. Besides, I'm not manufaturing for sale, just personal use and the occasional thank you gift or whatever.

Go Black Cats! Glad they stayed up.

Cheers

View PostHi guys,just found this site last week and this is my first post.

I make my own lures for Pike and and Bass,which in the UK a 10 pounder is a big Bass, unlike your Stripers.

Looking at some of the exellent home made lures i noticed that the wire passes right through the lure.How do you do this.

Do you drill the lure or make it in two halfs and glue it around the wire before shaping.?

I am using screw in eyes for my hooks at the moment and they are a bit big and i don,t really trust them.

Any advice would be much appreciated..Thanks

Don't lack confidence in screw eyes if you install them correctly. Use some waterproof two part epoxy like Devcon 2 ton 30 minute on the threads when installing. If they are too big look at some of the tackle suppliers for the lighter gauge stainless ones. 1/2" to 1 1/4" depending on lure style and space available to sink them in.

If done correctly they can be stronger than through wiring.

Chunka

I started out the same way as you . Drill the belly first and then drill the center's. Its easier that way and if they don't line up you can bend the wire a little and slide it in.

No scraped plugs and make some fat body pencils bro.

I want one all white...lol

View PostChunka

I started out the same way as you . Drill the belly first and then drill the center's. Its easier that way and if they don't line up you can bend the wire a little and slide it in.

No scraped plugs and make some fat body pencils bro.

I want one all white...lol

That's genius.

Give me a few weeks and you got one! The fatter the better.

biggrin.gif

View PostDon't lack confidence in screw eyes if you install them correctly. Use some waterproof two part epoxy like Devcon 2 ton 30 minute on the threads when installing. If they are too big look at some of the tackle suppliers for the lighter gauge stainless ones. 1/2" to 1 1/4" depending on lure style and space available to sink them in.

If done correctly they can be stronger than through wiring.

I've found this not to be the case, at least with softer woods. I had a 12# blue tear two trebles out of a plug, the 1 1/4" screw eyes were epoxied in and tore right out when the blue jumped out of the water about a foot from my yak.

View PostI've found this not to be the case, at least with softer woods. I had a 12# blue tear two trebles out of a plug, the 1 1/4" screw eyes were epoxied in and tore right out when the blue jumped out of the water about a foot from my yak.

I think that your problem was that your screw eye was not long enough, I fish freshwater and i use at least a half inch on my smallest screw eyes. Also another tip if you want to use screw eyes make sure you get the stainless ones and not the brass,(the brass break to easywink.gif).

View PostI've found this not to be the case, at least with softer woods. I had a 12# blue tear two trebles out of a plug, the 1 1/4" screw eyes were epoxied in and tore right out when the blue jumped out of the water about a foot from my yak.

Your right Benny. Anything can happen with those yellow eyed devils.

If I am fishing a screw eye lure made of soft wood and get something big or nasty on the line I usually back the drag of a bit and let the reel absorb some of the stress.

redface.gifredface.gifredface.gifredface.gif Oopsies, sorry about that Benny, didnt see that one before the 1/4. But those saltwater fish sure look pretty veracious, even looks like that some thru wire has been faulty for these fish.

I am sure everything has it own place and so is screw eyes.

I only have done the through wiring on mine as taught by Mike Fixter (and never had any failure on those plugswink.gif) but as I do not have ready access to the lathe, I mostly resort to my own method of hand drilling with long bit, quarter turn and no more then half inch at a time method. Do it from both end always.

With a bit of patience and care, even with 1/8" long bit, I haven't had much of alignment issues.

Cheers,beers.gif