Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Barracuda

Magnetic brakes and big conventional reels

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I'm a big fan of adjustable brakes for conventional casting and an especially big fan of magnetic brakes. But other than the Abu 6500s (and now a 7000) and the Penn 525mag, there seem to be very few surfcasting reels with mag brakes. Or even with adjustable centrifugal brakes.

Any reason for that? There seems to be an active (if, perhaps, small) after-market for magging reels that don't come that way. So it can be done, and at least a fair number of people would like 'em. I can't figure out why manufacturers don't put 'em in.

Maybe there's a good reason I just don't know about -- I would appreciate being clued in.

Thanks.

Barracuda

i'm no engineer but i'm thinking it has to do with the mass of the larger aluminum spools filled with line and lower RPM's. you'd need much larger/stronger magnets to slow down the larger, heavier spools that don't have high enough RPM's to generate the resistance needed to effectively slow down the spool. centrifugal brakes can be found on Trinidad 30's, Daiwa SLX-50's, Daiwa Saltist 50's, etc but IMO they don't help much. many people already think these reels are too big & heavy for shore casting. adding big mags will only add to the weight & bulk.

Avet SXMC, MXLMC, and over the seas Diawa zillion. Other then that you have to mag it yourself. The surf casting comunity is the redheaded step child of the fishing industry. Boaters get the lions share of R&D because that is where the big bucks are.

View PostThe closest anything has ever come to that was the Penn 555 mag, nice reel good control.

To expand on this;

Penn makes/made knob mag 525, 535, 545, 555 sized reels

Diawa made 2 leverdrag casting reels LD30H, & LD50H both with a cast control.

Abu made 3 reels larger than the 7000, 82/8600, 9000, 10,000 that were & still are great casting reels.

What about the Daiwa 7ht Millionaire Tournament? I have this model and I am quite impressed. It doesn't overbrake the reel and kill distance - even with the mag on full. Daiwa have a few magged baitcasters too.

I am not sure what you mean by 'adjustable' centrifrugal breaks. I thought they were all adjustable by altering the size and or number of the brakes.

Larger reels? I have 2 Trinidad 30's w/ 40# test that are statically magged. They work awesome. Yes, it takes a stronger mag to have it work properly or you may need to add one or two more but they still control overruns very well. Inertia of the spool is greater on these reels thus larger mags. I also have a Newell 546 w/ 60# test that I cast with a mag in it. It's a very strong mag though. In Penn 4/0's I've magged my friends reel with 2 mags as he is more of a beginner who's targeting Giant Trevallys or Ulua (Hawaiian name for Large Jacks). I've altered it so you have to just lightly thumb the spool and if you cast it thumbless, it'll backlash a bit with bigger baits and headwinds. You still have to maintain smoothness and technique however or you will still run into some problems. Something adjustable from the manufacturer would be great but right now my friends and I are enjoying the advantage.

Casting the larger overheds isn't that hard once you have them either magged or with the correct size brake blocks fitted to them .

Here is a video that we did casting the larger Daiwa

" target="_blank">

The key with the bigger reels is a slower progressive build up of power so that the spools don't flywheel at the start.smile.gif