Awesome John

Snapping a Hokins shorty, now snapping a Crippled Herring "Amazing Results!"

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

For the last 5 years I've been perfecting a "stationary" snapping technique with a hopkins shorty and I ve been catching fish everywhere in the world, and biguns toosmile.gif

But my water here in Turkey s crystal clear,

and after a while they get hip to it...frown.gif and dont hit it....

So I tried to find a more realisticlooking jig that would work for this technique.

I tried many other jigs but for this technique where you cast out over 100 yards and then keep the jig stationary in one spot like and underwater pencil popper the Hopkins shorty is King! It weighted perfectly, casts like a bullet, dances like a zig zagging disoriented fish...

The other day I got all my Hopkins shorties bitten off back to back!

Jeeezzzzzzzzfrown.gif

The waters so clear if you use any other than a floro carbon leader they dont hit it.... and it seems some big girls were around cause they bit off all my hopkins.. so I look in my bag and there is an old Luhr Jenson Crippilled Herring is neon Blue over chrome... one of the deadliest lures ever invented... yeah but cant it be snapped?

I put her on and tossed her out... first of all the freakrn lure is lead so no problem with casting distance the darn thing works up some serious inerciasmile.gif

I was delighted to see that "the 1.5 ounce" version could indeed be snapped in place to flutter and dart around...drool.gif then slam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25 pound Mahi jumping 6 feet into the air... on man my drag was spinning at amazing speeds it sounded sounded like a dentist drill zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzingicon24.gif

I could not turn this fish with 30 pound braid and a 10 ft lami it was a rocket with finns... after doing the areal excapades for 10 minutes she dove down to the bottom and I could feel her scraping her jaws on the rocks (still I could not turn this fish!) I gave it everything I had and felt a "ping" the line was still taught but there was no fight...cwm13.gif

the fish expertly hooked me up to a barnicle boulder and I didnt even get an inch of slack... the darnest thing I ever saw in 40 years of fishing..

Tough, fast smart fish,

Anyway.. the crippled herring jigs "work"smile.gif

the 2oz and 3 oz sucks keeps fouling on itself, but the 1.5 oz and 4 oz ones work perfectly...

Heads up.... the crippled herring is still kicking arse, just dont slam it on a rock, its lead ....

i find when out of the country fishing the islands where the water is very clear i like very skinny ( thin in profile ) when i use metal lures i tie stainless hooks with a small amount of tie and flash. i get alot more strikes with them.Good luck tight lines Bob

3/4 Shorty is king for straight up and down jigging for stripers.

The crippled herring have always been good when casted and jigged and allowed to flutter down. Great lures. I'll be throwing some in the morning off the sand of California.

i like the nickel/neon green 3oz crippled herring with a added white buck tail, reeled straight in at a cruising speed just from not dragging.. the buck tail makes it come to life with a nice zigzag motion.. it casts a mile and has been good catcher for me over the last 4-5 seasons from the beach..

View PostI do envy you, AJ. And I heart.gif those Crippled Herrings. biggrin.gif

Our water here is ancient fjords from glacier eras. The angle of drop from shore is like 45 degrees straight down.. If you can cast 200 yards your in 100 foot of water! Its like deep sea fishing from the shore! The piers are hilarious built on underwater ridges. one side is 40 feet , the other side is 125 foot drop. cwm31.gif

View Posti find when out of the country fishing the islands where the water is very clear i like very skinny ( thin in profile ) when i use metal lures i tie stainless hooks with a small amount of tie and flash. i get alot more strikes with them.Good luck tight lines Bob

Bob yes when used "very sparsely" a flash tie would add appeal but to get the lure to "snap" (zig zag around in "one spot" sharply) the rear hook needs to be bare to not cause the parachute effect and keep the metal "zinging around underwater", but a very slight touch of flas could add some "appeal" I will try your suggestion Bob and let you know how it turns out, thanks for sharing your experience.

View PostWhat weight hopkins works best for you (in terms of casting and catching fish)?

the ultimate "snapping weight" Hopkins shorty for beach casting is 1.5 oz,

the ultimate long range snapping lure from the beach is the Awesome 2.25oz shorty. What a beautiful spoon that is... weighted perfectly for snapping!

View PostSorry for googan's question, but what exactly is "Snapping" technique?

Its hard to explain, but its a tough to get down hybrid hand technique something in between "butterfly jigging and working a pencil popper" except your popping and snapping "underwater" to get the jig to stay in "one spot" and zing around like the tazmanian devil. icon24.gif

View Post3/4 Shorty is king for straight up and down jigging for stripers.

Yes great for "vertical jigging" but for casting off the beach it dosnt have the weight to get out over 100 yards in a strong head wind, and when it does due to its lighter weight ""it flutters" more than it "zings" so I find that I get fouled alot (the lure catches itself on the leader) for beach snapping 1.5 oz and 2.25 oz are the sweetheart lures. (they too foul occasionally but once you get the rythym your okey!)

The crippled herring have always been good when casted and jigged and allowed to flutter down. Great lures. I'll be throwing some in the morning off the sand of California.

I didnt realize how good they ( Luhr Jensen Crippled Herrings lures) were for snapping until I ran out of hopkins shorties and was forced to use one. They have a different action when snapped than the Hopkins shorty. The shorty will "very sharply" zing off to one side when snapped where as the Crippled Herring will shoot up about 2 feet and (due to its heavy lead constuction) immediately start a high speed flutter, now as you leave the line slack and its fluttering when you snap that baby again sharply against the slack line it creates a "frenzy action" and starts vibrating like those vibro spoons... game fish are really turned on... they hit it with a vengence that jolts the rod out of you hands.

View PostShorty works.beers.gif

I like 2 oz. for it's distance and swim(?)ability combination.

Hopkins makes a "no-eql" ( the lobger version Hopkins spoon) in a 2 oz, but for the "Shorty Model" they make a 2.25oz, you mean the 2.25 oz shorty "in my oppinion the most versitle metal lure ever created" very few lures can catch a striper, a cuda, a grouper, a mahi, a salmon, and a largemouth bass, a bluefish, and snag a bunker toosmile.gif

View Posti like the nickel/neon green 3oz crippled herring with a added white buck tail, reeled straight in at a cruising speed just from not dragging.. the buck tail makes it come to life with a nice zigzag motion.. it casts a mile and has been good catcher for me over the last 4-5 seasons from the beach..

For cast and retrieve the 3oz is fine, but for snapping it drove me crazy because it fouled the line everytime I snapped the rod. For a "low and slow" presentation as you describe the 3oz crippled herring with a buck tail works great due to its compact weight, but for high speed "stationary snapping" it is a hard model to control and has a tendency to flip over and catch its hook on the leader. The only way I have been able to snap a 3oz crippled herring has been to remove the tail hook completely and use an assist hook/stinger hook off the head eyelet.

Color wise, For clear water the "blue over chrome has been my weapon of choice", I would think with the off clored water in the states the yellow green, and white Crippled herring would be a producer...

Very informative. Thank you. I have been dieing to know what snapping was also for the longest time.

Thanks again.

Hi John,

With the shorty do you use a bare single hook or treble (and what size)?

Do you prefer mono or braid (and what test) for snapping? Seems like the inconsistent tension on retrieve could cause wind knots with braid or you would have to be very careful/diligent to keep tension on the retrieve.

Thanks,

John

Awesome John,

I was wondering if there is anyway you could video the movement in the tub or something, so those of us trying to master the movement could see how it works.