Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Surf Striper

Fishing in Jamaica

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I am going to Jamaica June 14 for 4 days. Has anyone surf fished at Montego Bay? What can I expect to catch and what type of lures should I bring? I will be fishing early before the wife wakes up.

I am getting a LL bean 4 pc should I get the 6.6'-6-12lb, 7' 8-17lb or 7' 10-20lb? All are around $90 and look pretty nice.

Guess it all depends on the fish that are around any ideas?

Haven't fished Jamacia but have traveled quite a bit.Just a Rod suggestion.I have at least 10 travel rods for many year. The LL Bean Rods are great but IMO I want a longer Rod for casting distance.When I 1st looked around I could only find a 7' Rod but now there are 8 & 8 1/2 foot rods which I have bought both.Check out the albright rods. Great Rods & great prices.They also come with Rod sock & tubes. I have the bean,bass pro,albright & all are good.Just a suggestion.If you get a travel rod in a 7' I don't think you'll be using it from the surf back home.So if you get an 8 or a 8 1/2 you can use it all the time. Good luck what ever you choose.PS all rods mentioned have good warrantys!

it kinda sucks from the beach unless you can find some coral reef nearby.

the locals just snorkel with a spear and hit the pinfish.

offshore is not too bad, if you can find a trustworthy charter captain.

View PostYou're going to get harassed by every manner of local in Mo Bay asking you for money, FYI.

View Postit kinda sucks from the beach unless you can find some coral reef nearby.

the locals just snorkel with a spear and hit the pinfish.

offshore is not too bad, if you can find a trustworthy charter captain.

Even at 5 am in the morning think the locals will bother me? I dont care if I catch 12" fish just want to catch something. I looked up charters 4 hours 500$+ might be worth it though. Me my wife and son and girlfriend might be ok, sightseeing anyway. Have been on quite a few charters and only caught a barracuda once in the bahamas.

Flytuyingguy, I will only use this rod for when I travel. But a longer rod does sound better. Guess I should keep looking. I have way to many rods in the garage ask the wife. smile.gif

thanks for the tips

Be real careful off of hotel grounds. Many areas of that island make Newark after dark look like Mr. Rogers neighborhood. Beautiful island and many nice people, but a serious drug and crime problem. Try to get to Ricks cafe to watch the sunsets and cliff divers.

The albright rods look pretty nice. It does not say the length when apart. I guess. 8' is 96" so 24' in 4 pc. wish it said the length. 8.6 " 25'. My suitcase will take a 28" so I might just get the 8.6". Would like the added length i am sure.

I went to Jamaica in 92. Take serious note about leaving the hotel grounds. I was warned when I got there and I was in Negril. There is a ton of pan handling going on along with pick pockets. Brush up on your bartering skills. As all the small family shops do barter. There are no price tags on anything. Drink Red Strip while you are there also. When I was there they wanted $6.00 for a can of Bud. Ricks Café has one of the best sun sets in the world. I would imagine the hotel has a bus that goes out there. One last thing. Don't eat the brownies !

Surf Striper, I have the Albright, it will not fit in your suitcase. Check with your airline, i carry my case on the plane as a personal item and put it in the luggage compartment. I pack all my tackle in my checked bag. My reels go in my carry on luggage bag. Good luck.

-Keith

holiday inn, montego bay has a 20ft small pier. However the reef extends for 100 yards beyond that. chest high. You'll see vendors way out in the water past the hotel property lines selling jewelery and sometimes the local illegal substances. Get some thick sole aqua shoes.... SEA Urchins suck. Tell one of the locals you want some fresh caught conch/lobster...they cook it on the beach 4 you. freshest ever. it's better than the fishing... lotta pinners and grunts. Good luck they got bonefish and cudas in the shallows..

oh p.s. bring a needlefish lure.smile.gif

My Jamican experience. Land at airport. Change money on blackmarket with cabdriver in parking lot. Get on hotel bus, drive 90mph, hit brakes real hard at roadside shack, told its red stripe stop, get off get some, including driver, back on bus, drive 100 mph, redstripe gets extra 10mph, hit brakes harder, local vendor selling local foliage,not the leaves, the whole plant including root, other tourist barter for it, get it for less than price of a happy meal. Driver abstains from this, back on bus, arrive hotel, waiters in entrance with trays of frozen drinks. Naked women everywhere. All in less than an hour from the time the plane lands. What a country!!!!!beers.gifbeers.gifbeers.gifbeers.gifbeers.gifbeers.gifbeers.gifbeers.gifbeers.gif

i went ther about 6 years ago. fished from hotel ground. cought a 16lb barracuda on a orange yozuri minnow. a few `sanppers' as well. not sure what they were. had a lto of fun and was the only one fishing.

bring shoes that allow you to wade, the area i was in was very sharp and impossible to walk baere foot. pb is to find some structure and some depth from the shore. was lucky to find a good spot otherwise you have to walk far.