Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheFishWhisperer

a difference of a few feet

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

thats all it took.

Today my fishing buddy showed me up, but it was a great learning experience. Last year we discovered a pattern in a certain spot. Today we learned something new. the spot consists of a nice reef that creates a long break of whitewater under the right conditions. Today we discovered what appears to be a substantial drop off right next to it. Here's my story. Yesterday the conditions for this spot were lined up and I went alone as my friend had other obligations. I only had an hour free but it was worth it. I had a few fish, nothing to special, but enough to keep me coming back. Today We made plans to hit this spot together. I got there a little before him and waded out to the spot. I started off with a danny but the five foot waves soon made it apparent that this would not work. On my first cast with a bucktail I hooked up. It was small fish, but it gave me confidence that today would be a bucktail show. I then went hitless for ten minutes and saw my friend walking down the beach. He waded out to a rock that was slightly farther out than mine. about five minutes later he hooked up. The fish was slightly larger than mine. he hooked up again a few minutes later. This fish was also larger than mine. A few casts went by and he hooked up yet again. This fish was the same size as his other two. I noticed that his casts were going a few feet farther than mine. i also noticed what appeared to be a signifigant drop off at the end of my cast and a few feet inside his cast. I thought that might be the reason he's catching but I needed more convincing. I hooked another fish but it was smaller than all of his and the same size as my previous one. He hooked up once again a few casts later. He struggled as this fish was a little larger and used the heavy surf to its advantage. He brought in and weighed it at twenty five pounds. a nice fish for either of us and the largest we have seen this season. Watching that big tail vanish in the wash was all the convincing i needed. i figured it had to be those extra few feet on his cast. I still didnt change my bucktail as we only had an hour left. I thought I'd let him enjoy his new discovery. as the tide rose we both picked at small fish until it was time to go.

Now for the lesson. The wind was howling too much for us to discuss strategy on our rocks but on shore we discovered we both had reached the same conclusion. His one and a quarter ounce bucktail flew farther than my one ounce and his rock was slightly further out. this gave him the extra distance needed to get beyond the drop off. we arrived at the spot at low slack and fished the incoming. While the water on the reef was too shallow for the stripers the water past the drop off was not. The bigger fish(the ones he caught) were holding just outside the drop off waiting for the tide to rise before coming in to feed. The small fish(the ones I caught) were happy in the shallower water on the reef. as the tide started to rise our fish count started to even out as did our fish size.This was an itnteresting experience for me and I hope it might help some of you guys catch when you see the guy next to you catching, but you're not.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that it probably wasn't the few feet of distance that had your buddy catching fish and you scratching your head. IMHO your buddy was getting his jig deeper than you were. By casting a bit further out with the heavier jig your buddy was allowing the jig to reach the strike zone while your offering was passing over the fish's head. But still a great post.

View PostI'm going to stick my neck out and say that it probably wasn't the few feet of distance that had your buddy catching fish and you scratching your head. IMHO your buddy was getting his jig deeper than you were. By casting a bit further out with the heavier jig your buddy was allowing the jig to reach the strike zone while your offering was passing over the fish's head. But still a great post.

That was actually my first thought so i made a few casts letting it sink at the end of the cast and counting it down until it was just above the bottom. The result was the same thoughredface.gif

View PostThat was actually my first thought so i made a few casts letting it sink at the end of the cast and counting it down until it was just above the bottom. The result was the same thoughredface.gif

Consider current... Just because you let your lighter jig sink to the bottom doesn't mean that it stayed there.

I wasn't there so my sugestions are just a guess. But I'll bet the farm that you'll carry a few of those heavier jigs in your bag from now on. biggrin.gif

IMHO sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. Ever boat fish and 6 guys are mere inches away from each other and one hooks up and the other doesn't, and your offering is the same?

Pure serendipity. From shore there are a lot of variables, distance to fish is only one of them.

Stevesmile.gif