Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Terry Hayden

Fly Reel Colours

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

I am making a new reel and am pondering what to do about the colour. Hard anodising comes in grey or black and I am thinking about doing some in green, blue, purple, red, silver, gold, if fishermen were interested.

Type II anodising in colour will make the reel about $50.00 cheaper.

Please post your comment and what colour takes your fancy.

Terry first let me say that I am a big fan of your reels. As far as colors are concerned black is crisp, clean and classic, I personally dont see a need for any other color. As a toolmaker I understand the differences between Type II and Type III anodizing and honestly would not let either determine if I would or would not buy a reel. So if I did want another color I would have no problem purchasing a Type II reel.

For type II I like prefer natural metal colored reels because they dont show the scratches, I've never owned a type III but if it's that tough black would be nice

Sry Siedner I think the days of gold are done, too much bling for the beach, on a boat nobody will notice

and the fish species...

Let's see I have pink, green, bronze, pewter and pewter with pink engraving in trout sizes and green, blue, black and gold in saltwater. Ken has a red one!

They all catch fish the same; but, they do make a statement.

Purple is too limiting...and is being done. I like red and green seems to sell very well based on the number of Tibor's I see in green. drool.gif

type 3 in matte, color irrelevant for salt, but for fresh, like black, brown/ bronze, and pewter/gray. Nothing bling like. (in case flash or glare scares fish)