Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kyle7683

Tilefish

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

You're going to be dropping 3-5 pounds of weight hundreds of feet... you're going to want a rod with a quite stout rating and preferably a 2-speed reel.

I'd go with a 6'-6'6" standup rod, rated 30-80lb test, with 100# braid to reduce the amount of weight needed to hit the bottom.

From everything I've heard, it's pretty tiring fishing. If you can afford a lightweight rod like a Star Plasma... it might well be worth the price.

These day you cannot go by line ratings/ example trevallas rated 80-200 which are morelike 15-30lb.

You want something around 8' that if you tie 16 ozs off the tip it only begins to bend. 65,70,80lb max for braid going with 100 you begin to drag and get much unneeded scope in the line.

You definetely want a 2 speed. Accurate 870 or Avet JX or Lx

Tilefish...fun stuff. Are you planning on fishing from a party of private boat? I've done both numerous times and the recommendations are a little different, but not too much.

From private boats you'd be surprised how little weight you can get away with when using 50 or 80 lb. superbraid. On days when we were able to hold position or the drift was mild, we have fished in up to 650 feet with as little as 24 ounces (a couple trips we used 16) using 7 foot graphite sticks and modestly sized high speed reel like a Torium 16 or Torque 200 loaded with 65 or 80 lb braid. The braid is critical for feeling the bites and lets you get deep with less lead. Mono is totally out of the question!

I've caught tiles up to 55 pounds (broke the world record a few years back)with a 6-1/2' stand up rod I would normally fish with 30 lb line. It was armed with a 16VSX loaded with 80 braid. We fish a spot around the southern Canyons we call the Valley of the Giants because it has given up some truly huge tiles. This fishing was all done from private boats, which gives you the advantage of being able to hold position or keep the drift slow by using the engines against the wind or tide.

I've fished the same stand up rod and VSX reel on headboat trips with up to 3 pounds of lead when the drift gets too fast too hold with less, but that really makes fishing difficult. I also have a small electric outfit that I can switch from a bent butt to a straight butt depending on whether I want to hold it or just leave it in the rod holder. It's loaded with 100 braid. I bring along to use if my cranking arm wears out after reeling up too many dogfish in 600 feet of water. I hate when that happens.

I really shy away from long rods for this fishing because it puts too much strain on you and no more on the fish. This ain't toggin' in 75 feet. I've fished tiles as deep as 750 and that's a long haul.

Good luck with the endevour. They are fun to catch and great eating. drool.gif

I tilefish on a Pt Pleasant partyboat and after trying several different rods my rod of choice is a Daiwa Saltiga Sa-B 8040 JR. It is 8ft long and can handle 3lbs of lead. The largest tile I've caught on this rod was 43.50lbs from 800ft. On that same drift I caught a 38lb tile from 1100ft. The rod can take it and it won't kill you. I combine it with a Torsa 20 and have a Saltiga 40 as a back-up.

Tilefishdrool.gif usually only fight for the 1st 50 to 100 feet after that it is just work reeling up dead weight. As several have mentioned you need a stiff 50 to 80 lb rod and a 2 speed reel would be a big help. We used to use window sash weights to get down so you add that weight to the fish and you can see that after a couple of them your not too sure you want more. But if you have ever eaten them you'll want more.

I use a custom wrapped 7'6" St Croix PM79XXXHF blank and a Saltiga 50 for those deep drops. That is a very light and stiff blank. I also use the same rod for slow NE style tuna jigging.