Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mitchellgoosen

what to do when they wont bite?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

i was out last night and showed up to lots of splashes all around me. The water was thick with bait, couldnt really make it out though. I through everything i had at them for about 2 hours and not a single bump, but u would see them splashing and surfacing about every 5 seconds. Anyone have an idea what to do when u cant get them to hit anything.

What was surfacing???? Bass....blues??? or was it just large bait, like bunker, making the splashes? If it indeed was bass or blues on SMALL bait, a dropper tied on a 1/0 or 2/0 hook usually does the job for me.

You threw everything you had at them. I typically would do the same trying to dial in on what it will take. Only other option is to think again about what it appears they are feeding on, try to match it, and adjust your presentation in terms of depth, twitch, speed of retrieve, etc. Once you've "run the bag" tailoring presentation is all I can think of that's left.

what to do when they wont bite?

find someone kinkier! cwm13.gif

Seriously though...sometimes they are just keyed in on a certain bait size and pattern no matter what you do....flies or teasers can help figure it out, but even then it can be a very tough bite.

Is it possible the fish were shad?

i had thought that maybe they were shad or bunker so i was casting a snag hook for about 20 minutes. Some of the splashes where very loud so that makes me think it was bass, also i was very close to a fish coming up that didnt really make a violent splash and was pretty sure i saw the dorsal fin of a bass, but maybe the light was playing tricks on my eyes.

As for matching the hatch, the smallest thing i could throw was a 7/8oz single hook needle and not a tap. im gonna bring some teasers tonight and try again.

I'm going to assume you were on the NS (from your stated location) and most likely seeing sand eels as the bait. So a TEASER is a must. My go to in front of the teaser would be 1) Hellcat 2) 14A or 16A Bomber 3) YoZuri crystal minnow 4) Mag Darter.

Vary your retrieve. Fan cast. I'll do three retrieves VERY SLOW. Then 3 fast. Then 3 stop twitch start. ETC. Fan cast and repeat. If that does not produce, I have a few Alou eel worms and a few small needlefish for last resorts.

how deep of water are you fishing?ive been having the same problem somewhat but i corrected it by using the old redfin with a VERY slow retrieve and found out most if not all the fish that im on are keepers wich is funny since there only in about 1 1/2-2ft of water,give the redfin a shot,they love that V wake nice and slow and mambos have also worked almost just as good.

View PostI'm going to assume you were on the NS (from your stated location) and most likely seeing sand eels as the bait. So a TEASER is a must. My go to in front of the teaser would be 1) Hellcat 2) 14A or 16A Bomber 3) YoZuri crystal minnow 4) Mag Darter.

Vary your retrieve. Fan cast. I'll do three retrieves VERY SLOW. Then 3 fast. Then 3 stop twitch start. ETC. Fan cast and repeat. If that does not produce, I have a few Alou eel worms and a few small needlefish for last resorts.

Sit back and watch Ed find the way while knocking off a six pack.Sometimes nothing will work but matching the hatch is the best attempt.

It happened to me too this past weekend at a sand bar at the mouth of a boat canal. There were definitely bunkers popping all over but no hook up. I started about an hour after high and it wasn't until another two hours later when the bar was eposed and I nearly tried every lure in my bag, that I started catching on a 5" green mack red fin.

I am not sure whether I finally found the right combo or that the fish had shown up late.

well another night at the same spot and skunked again.....fish werent showing themselves as much as yesterday but were still there. wish i had brought my waders and dry top so i could have stayed a little longer to try and figure it out.

View Posti could have stayed a little longer to try and figure it out.

Figuring it out...the hunt... You never ever figure it ALL outwink.gif, but on those occasions when, after much thought & persistence, it comes together and you start to dial it in, well IMHO, that tops fish in a barrel, blitzes every time.

Keep at it. Learn MORE from not catching than catching!!!

It's trying to solve the puzzle that keeps ya coming back wink.gif

When the bait is flipp'n and your rod is twitch'n your adrenaline is flowin'

you're praying for a solid hit..........sometimes it just ain't so.

I usually startargue.gif , then revert andwaaah.gif