Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lbifly

Getting a 8wt but very confused on which line to get

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I fish in the bays for everything, in FL inshor too. I don't want to spend to much on multiple lines.. Here's my idea, buy a floating lines and at my house I have a 20ft piece of a sinking line that I could use with a loop to loop connection if the fish are down deep... Now if this makes any sense who makes a good white floating line?

Thanks alex

Wish it was that easy...Most rods are meant to be cast with a full line of a weight higher than listed on the rod markings..And shooting heads are two - three sizes bigger. Now some companies are changing that around? So now you have to ask the dealer ,Or check with the company ,,I have a TFO 5wt that throws up to a 10 wt line with no problems at all..you would probably do best to go to a shop that has extra shop lines & have them help you..Or if you have a friend with a abundance as I do to assist you...Your rod was meant to have the 30' part of the line plus a little extra ( 3" double haul )....Thats the difference of a full line or shooting head..the full line weighs more because the 3' of fly Line is heavyer than the mono or what ever shooting line you would be useing... Now if you're not really confused , you're way ahead of me when I startedconfused.gif If you want to save money, then buy a versa tip package , which is what you were thinking about except this is balanced for the exchange of tips..You wanted to add 20' of line to a 30' of a existing 30" & it wouldn't be balanced...Draw back is the best one is a Rio unit which costs around $140..So find out what full line you need before you buy it... Good luck as you'll find all fly gear is two - three times as much as anty thing elsetongue.giftongue.gif Jim God that was cheaper than my shrinks couch >>biggrin.gif

Rio makes (or made) a line with interchangable heads. I know for two-handed it was the Windcutter Versitip series; came highly regarded and had a floating, sinking and intermediate head to it.

I think they made them for regular rods as well, not just two handed.

I believe I've seen them on sale; you could get them for under $100 last i checked. Might be a good solution for you.

Depending on the current and depth where you fish you can get fairly deep with a floating line and sinking fly or a very short section of lead core line between your butt section and tippet.

You can also do a lot with an intermediate line.....I fish large poppers on my intermediate line without a problem and can also get pretty deep with a heavy, sparse clouser. Again though, it depends a lot on current.

Not sure of your budget, but a basic intermediate line from Cabelas or Cortland could be had for well less than $50. Or keep an eye on the BTS forum here on SOL. Fly lines come up all the time, and I have picked up several near new lines in the $25 - $35 price range.

Good luck!

Alan

I'm with you Gilbey it's the old acronym, KISS. I think this overlining thing gets way too much play IMO. An Int. will generally work well anywhere in the water column from 3 to 15' depending on current including flies along the surface.

Snowbee makes a terrific white floating line. It would be great if you could try some different grain weight lines to see which one makes your rod sing.

could i use a intermediate line for popers and crease flys, also i have a 10 weight intermediate that i dont use and its fairly neww cortland 555 little tunny clear line. if i can use it would be greathighfive.gif

alex

I fish primarily Airflow intermediate lines, and I can fish mid to large sized creases and poppers without any problem. With small creases and poppers I sometimes have a problem in that the line slowly sinking will pull the smaller fly under or at least make it so it will not pop or spit water real well. But it works.

You are going to have to get out there and give your line with your flies in your water a try. They you'll know for sure wink.gif .

IMHO floating lines are ideal for poppers and top water flies, but for me I am only fishing topwater a small percentage of the time and I think the Int line give a better presentation to my standard deceivers, clousers, snakes, etc. so that's what I primarily fish. I use sinking heads where conditions suggest, but I honestly can't recall the last time I fished a floating line. I know other VERY good fishermen who fish floaters all the time.

Alan

confused.gif

View PostI fish primarily Airflow intermediate lines, and I can fish mid to large sized creases and poppers without any problem. With small creases and poppers I sometimes have a problem in that the line slowly sinking will pull the smaller fly under or at least make it so it will not pop or spit water real well. But it works.

You are going to have to get out there and give your line with your flies in your water a try. They you'll know for sure wink.gif .

IMHO floating lines are ideal for poppers and top water flies, but for me I am only fishing topwater a small percentage of the time and I think the Int line give a better presentation to my standard deceivers, clousers, snakes, etc. so that's what I primarily fish. I use sinking heads where conditions suggest, but I honestly can't recall the last time I fished a floating line. I know other VERY good fishermen who fish floaters all the time.

Alan

i do not fish top water alot either, but its good that intermediate works with a popper, i usually use clousers and streamers... what is the maximum you can overline without a chance of breaking the rod.

If I could have one line only, it would be an intermediate. Start stripping as soon as it hits the water for poppers and sliders, let it settle for sinking flies.

This year I started using RIO Outbound Short lines in Intermediate and Floating versions. They are now on all of my flyreels. They are a bit pricey but I think they are the best flylines on the market today. I've had no problems casting deceivers, poppers, crease flies, etc..

Also, you will not have to overline your rod with these lines. They have a Short head that makes them cast like a dream.

I don't have any 10 weight eqpt but if you'd like to try out my 9 wt with the RIO, touch base with me and maybe we can work something out.

Spig

View PostThis year I started using RIO Outbound Short lines in Intermediate and Floating versions. They are now on all of my flyreels. They are a bit pricey but I think they are the best flylines on the market today. I've had no problems casting deceivers, poppers, crease flies, etc..

Also, you will not have to overline your rod with these lines. They have a Short head that makes them cast like a dream.

I don't have any 10 weight eqpt but if you'd like to try out my 9 wt with the RIO, touch base with me and maybe we can work something out.

Spig

thanks for the offer, i just have the new line laying around and was wondering if i could use it?

RE: what is the maximum you can overline without a chance of breaking the rod

Don't know. I upline my five weight with a nine weight line, if that helps.

I personally like the Wulff SWF the best of any floating line I have cast.Its not white but a light blue.A floating line should be in everyones arsenal.Its probably the most versital line you could own and I find myself fishing one more often than not.