Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stoker1

Average Striper Depth when hooking up?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Don't know if this has been discussed before (search function is presently off) so here goes.

When surf casting what has been your most productive depth for hooking up with Stripers?. I know there are a lot of variables but for me I would say it's the two-six foot depth with swimmers and tins followed by surface hook-ups.

Is that typical? Are people hooking up deeper more consistently say with buck tails? Or is the six foot of less depth the norm?

Just trying to get a feel for the bigger depth picture here and maybe if I should be surf casting deeper water.

Thanks.

I don't really know the depth in feet per say, it would depend on where you are like an open beach, jetty or pier. I just know how I approach a situation in general. If I don't see any surface activity, I start deep and work my way up. I guess I've been taught that bass will generally stay deep unless there is a reason (blitz type situation) for them to move up in the water column, and even during blitz situations where bluefish are invloved we've all heard how bass will "follow" the marauding down deep and scavenge the pieces left behind by blues. It isn't unusual to hook up with a bass "after" the "crowd" has passed by throwing a simple diamond jig out there, letting it sink and retrieving at a slow-steady rate. My advice is to assume they are always deep and work your way up. One of my favorite ways to fish this way is without a plug at all. Just take a 3-4 oz. bank sinker(as a casting weight) and tie in a feather teaser about 4ft. up.(same as a typical plug/teaser rig). The 3-4 oz. sinker will get you "out there" like a bullet and you can slowly work your way back along the bottom with little chance of a snag. I've caught bass, blues, weaks and fluke doing this. It's extremely effective. cwm12.gif Hope this helps....

MBF, thanks for the reply, I think I'll try from the bottom up this spring, perhaps with a Hopkins Shorty retrived slowly. Funny, usually I'm fishing from the top down, so I look forward to this new technique. Your bank sinker/teaser technique sounds good also, never tried that. With a three oz sinker I could cast to areas I wouldn't normally reachsmile.gif

[This message has been edited by Stoker1 (edited 01-26-2003).]

Hey no problem. When tieing the teaser, the way I do it is to make a "huge" dropper loop about 8" to 9" and then snip one side of it after pulling the knot tight. Do you follow? This way, you now have a single teaser line dropped down 16" - 18" or so to tie your teaser to. Works well.....

Stoker,

If I'm working a place like Jones Inlet, I'll start with a surface plug like a floating Tobimaru, go to a sinking Crystal Arc, then a bucktail. I can cover more territory with this combination, both shoreline and water column. All would be used with a teaser unless bluefish prevented. I've found pencils bring 'em up from a fair depth as well, so in the summer they get added in. They're a pretty good indicator of fish presence; if I get a hit and don't connect, I drop a J8 on 'em and see what happens. The fish are where the bait is. Don't see anything on top, work deeper and hit structure with bucks, Bombers and tin.

Rob H

MIS

LIBBA 1382

MBF, I got it, thanks. RobVila, how 'ya doing! Sounds like you are working from the top down with a contingency plan to work the bottom/structure. Not famaliar with a Tobimaru? is it a popper?

Off the sand, unless I'm fishing eels, I find that most of my bass come from about 3' down to the surface. Mainly because I find myself fishing plugs that don't run too deep i.e. bombers, darters, needles, and the list goes on.

In inlets, I've hooked fish either closer to the bottom, or within a foot or two of the surface if they're on the feed.

BUcktails are they type of lure that can take fish from the surface all the way down to the bottom. It basically depends on the spot your fishing.

Stoker,

Tobimaru is a fat prismy Yozuri that digs a little deeper than a Crystal Arc. Tim's gottem on the site. Think we're working the same suds, buddy, we gotta hook up some time. I owe ya a beer from the Pint Fling.

Rob H

MIS

LIBBA 1382