Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lunker hunter

Hot Bait (artificial/live)

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

I have found that my typical spring baits are less effective in 2009.

Spinners, Kastmasters, small grub like jigs are on fire!!!

Small bait seems pretty plentiful right now.

I fish in the larger rivers in Long Island sound/ Connecticut area.

I would love to hear what is everyone else seeing?

Lunker

Tons of bait of all sizes around. Western Sound is loaded with big bunker that have now spread far and wide across the entire Sound. Herring, alewives, and Shad are in every river. Sure there is small bait but this time of yr you can use the largest lures in your bag. Big fish big bait in the spring. Feed bags are on. Spawning is just starting and the feed bags will go into over drive.

I'm using plastics starting at 9" to 16". Single hook in head only and top water plugs.

Crap load of bass so far but nothing over mid 40's. People fishing live bunker next to me didn't get a hit. Reaction feeding seems to pay off when there is tons of bait for them to choose from. Lures make vibrations as a wounded easy meal. At least that's my guess. Or it might just be my hand poured plastics thats making them attack.biggrin.gif

Time is a big factor in some places. I could see fish in 3 feet of water short hitting my lures for 3 hrs. When the tide changed they fought for the lure. Like night and day with some water moving. Crazy good fishing up in your neck of the woods.

Keep after them. Good luck.

Jay