Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chief2

Ocean Sunfish

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

It's pectoral fin was shooting out of the water, and we thought it was a BIG shark bitten in half at first.

They say the largest recorded one ever seen is 5,000 lbs. Mine sure looked bigger than that. Saw it about 8 miles out in a seabass/ling party boat in september. FREAKED ME OUT!!!!

Saw one right off the beach on LBI a couple years ago - it was dying and on its side with one of it's pectorals sticking out of the water - the lifeguards thought it was a shark and cleared the beach - what a fiasco - I was sitting ontop of the dunes scoping out the bunker offshore and I gotta admit, IT DID look like a shark dorsal !!!

View PostSaw one right off the beach on LBI a couple years ago - it was dying and on its side with one of it's pectorals sticking out of the water - the lifeguards thought it was a shark and cleared the beach - what a fiasco - I was sitting ontop of the dunes scoping out the bunker offshore and I gotta admit, IT DID look like a shark dorsal !!!

If what I read is correct, they just kinda lounge on their side 99% of the time, can barely swim, and just kinda collect jellyfish for food, as ocean currents carry them wherever they go.

Kinda wanted to catch it, but now that they say they can't even swim, it would be like just pulling in a 5,000 lb tire.