Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kicking Bass

Surf Fishing in Mexico

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

This year's Cancunm Mexico trip was almost canceled due to the stupid flu, but my girlfriend and I stuck it out and we decided to go anyway. We stayed on the resort most of the trip, which meant more fishing time for me. Back in 2005, Hurricane Wilma basically washed away the beach in front of our resort and slabs of lime stone, rocks etc. now line the beach. For the last 2 years, two of my buddies, Jim Fowler and Wayne Thompson from the west coast (both members of SOL) and I fished every morning and evening and caught fish almost every time. If I told you the shoreline looked like one of the rockiest shorelines on Long Island, it wouldn't be far from the truth. I wish I had my korkers. (see pics) Guys, we're talking prime surf fishing conditions right out front of our resort!!! We caught Snook up to 22lbs, Tarpon up to 14lbs, Jack Crevalle up to 25lbs, Barracuda up to 11lbs and various other small fish. This was a daily thing for us, if we weren't hooking up with Snook and Tarpon, it was the Crevalle and Sierra. Being from the East Coast of LI, showing the West Coasties the power of a bucktail and porkrind had me shouting, "this is the way we do it on the east coast!!". The hightlight of the trip was catching a 15lb Snook on a 2oz RM Swimmer!!

View PostGreat Fish on the R.M. What hotel were you at or is that spot burning ???

Thanks Jim smile.gifsmile.gif Looks like a blast.

HA Not telling!!! But i'll tell u what, back in March, i had a room for rent, at my timeshare for the time we were there. I was listed on the B/S/T!!!

Great fish. And to think that I was happy last month with those little dinky bonefish I was catching down there. redface.gif Looks like I take some real tackle down the next time.

Spig

you can't even begin to imagine how jealous i am right nowmad.gif lol looks like you had a great time fishing with beautiful weather and your friends,,, and catchin fish doesnt hurt either smile.gif