Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bogey

Drag position

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

When done fishing loosen the drag to take tension off so as not to compress the washers (especially if storing for a while). What works for me is to set the drag just 'fore going fishing..The method I use is to tighten down the drag somewhat and then yank the line 'steada just pulling on it and adjust accordingly before the breaking point and then back off a tad.

Loose is what I've always heard, but drag materials have changed a lot and when a new reel comes from the factory the drag is always tightened. I wonder if we are still thinking old school.

View PostLoose is what I've always heard, but drag materials have changed a lot and when a new reel comes from the factory the drag is always tightened. I wonder if we are still thinking old school.

It isn't so much the drag material (ie HT 100, carbontex, felt or leather)as the fact that keeping the drag tightened in storage can compress the metal drag washers.

You don't want this (()) to turn into this || ||.

View PostIt isn't so much the drag material (ie HT 100, carbontex, felt or leather)as the fact that keeping the drag tightened in storage can compress the metal drag washers..

Why do you think the factory tightens the drag all the way before shipping? A reel could sit for up to a year with the tension on.

View PostWhy do you think the factory tightens the drag all the way before shipping? A reel could sit for up to a year with the tension on.

So you have to buy new washers from them.

Loose.

View PostWhy do you think the factory tightens the drag all the way before shipping? A reel could sit for up to a year with the tension on.

Why would a reel be shipped from the factory with the drag locked down? Because quality assurance would add a nickle to the unit cost and its all about the bottom line.

All my reels came locked down, perhaps this is to preclude warping of the discs which could lead to a jumpy drag. I always loosen them after fishing but maybe this is wrong.

View PostIt isn't so much the drag material (ie HT 100, carbontex, felt or leather)as the fact that keeping the drag tightened in storage can compress the metal drag washers.

You can compress metal but not corbontex, felt, or leatherheadscratch.gif. That isn't making sense to me, please explainconfused.gif.

View PostYou can compress metal but not corbontex, felt, or leatherheadscratch.gif. That isn't making sense to me, please explainconfused.gif.

metal washers are usually configured like this () or this (()). If they compress lose their concavity, you lose the range of your drag stack and go from no drag to locked down with nothing in between. The concave shape of the metal washers is what allows for an adjustment in the amount of drag friction in the stack.

The compression of ht100, carontex and to a lessor extent felt or leather will not negatively effect your drag range, they are supposed to be flat.

I checked with an expert, the metal drag washers in the Diawa Saltiga spinning reels are flat so there is no possibility of bending them. I guess leaving the drag set for the season won't damage the drag after all.