Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prospector

Smith's Point

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Sorry Sorry Again Hi Tim what's going on? When I try to reply to a thread the screen goes blank. Long time no speak.The site has really grown, nice job. I'll be lurking around. Brian in the last couple of years the boardwalk was eroded but we still had enough beach to drive on. Over the years I've seen the beach come and go.It really has'nt got any worse,it's a cycle thing. Early in the year it's always thin, by that I mean by that, most years you need a half tide down to navigate till summer. Hey Mike instead of Cupsogue where you will get mugged because of Smith's Point being closed, unless you need to borrow a chunk or two from your neighbor and don't forget you can only bring the rod your using because anyone with a 2 wheel can reach your parking area far-far away Well I have a solution to this, do as I do (SHAG) What you say? Montauk in the spring? You bet, end of May to the first week of July. It's all a nightime affair ,the fish are on small bait.(Brian get the hint (FLY ROD- FLY ROD) real easy beach to fish, Mike you could even use your little 9 footer (just kidding). Shag for me is more consistant in the spring than in the fall. I've got nothing against fish from 10 to 30lbs.sucking on my Red Gills while fishing by myself. The Locals come down around sunset and don't even get out of their trucks unless they see a fish and then rush home before dark. Try it you just might like it. Good Luck Prospector

-

Prospector, are you by chance running NAvigator 4.7? It gave me some agita on this site the other day, went back and forth with Tim trying to get a modest order posted ...

Montauk in the spring? Well, yes, but I live in Port Jeff Station and Smith Point was so convenient. I sniff more casting to do at Fire Island Inlet. (Truth be known, I hate to drive.)

I'm afraid this 2 day NE blow ain't helping the beach there replenish itself. As of the 4 PM shot on Noreast's surf cam, it looked like the water was right up to the dune break--I think they have the cam pointed down at the FINS end of the beach (??).

Prospector, the only problem with Shag is that it's 200 miles round trip, plus Hamptons' traffic on Montauk Highway. Maybe those late night tides on Friday or Sat nights are the ones I'll focus on there. Smiths was 50 miles each way, reachable by me (now that they finished the Oakdale Connector) in about 45 minutes. For what it would take me to reach Cupsogue, Shinnecock presents less headaches and takes about the same time to reach--and I don't really need to air down just to drive to the back of the jetty on the east side. I can walk the rest of the rocks. So, maybe I'll just re-aquiant myself with that inlet---and maye a couple of spots back in the east cut that I always wanted to try on the incoming.

Just checked out the Smith Point shot from 6:01PM and it looked like the water was about to come up the path. What a shame. Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time under the bridge. Come on weakfish!

I had to call and find out about Smith Point since I drive there at least twice a week once May rolls around. Moriches west is one of my favorite spots and I find it worth the 210 round trip miles for me from here in NJ. Sometimes I just go up there for the night....I also like Shinnecock Inlet and Montouk in the Spring along with a few othere spots, the drive to Montauk does suck, 300 miles round trip.

Anyway from what I found out today there are two areas on that 6 mile drive on the beach that eroded heavily, I know exactly where since it was becoming noticable last year. Both areas the water at high and nasty water was hitting the Dune no problem, it was a steep cut...What happened was someone drove out there this past January and flipped his truck. From what I hear it is currently shut down but there is a very good chance that it will open by the striper opener....May 8th. We just need some good weather and I believe those Bulldozers will get out there.