Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
loc

Braid or Mono

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Still learning here gang, still have not got a rod and reel set up for June.

Are there certain eye/rods that you can use braid on and some not? What is the criteria?

I'm assuming all reels it really does not matter or does it?

I was looking at the Power Pro braid or the suffix mono.

Hope to get a reel with two spools so I can do one of each.

I havent had a problem with braid and the eyes on my rods but as I understand they can chew right through the eyes. I would definitely go with mono if you are a beginner. I just switched to braid this year and had caught plenty more fish earlier. When you get more involved then you can spend the money to get the right gear that will handle braid.

most new rods and reels will work just fine with braid. Key is dont over spool the reel and keep it spooled tight. It can slice right through your skin so be careful casting with heavy lures or tossing bait. Some guys wrap there fingers with tape to protect them from cuts.

View Postmost new rods and reels will work just fine with braid. Key is dont over spool the reel and keep it spooled tight. It can slice right through your skin so be careful casting with heavy lures or tossing bait. Some guys wrap there fingers with tape to protect them from cuts.

tape + aquaskinz finger guide over it, my fireline always rips through my tape and my skin.

Braid does not damage the guides, I've used it for over a dacade on various guides with NO damage. The reel does make a big difference, some are braid friendly and some are not.

If you do make it to braid, you must remember to tape down the first turn or two on the reel. To prevent it from slipping. About 10 yrs. ago when braid was pretty new, I didn't know about doing that and sent my Penn 525 back to Penn. I thought the drag gave out. But I had forgotten to secure the first turn.cwm31.gif

Some reels are not Braid friendly .

Some guides are not Braid friendly .

Tape and backing is NOT necessary with Braid if you know how to attach it to the spool but if your new then I'd suggest one or the other .

When I switched from mono to braid I still had ceramic guides on my rod. After about a half a season my breakoffs were compounding. Not knowing better I had never checked my guides. There were numerous grooves cut into them, the tip was the worst. I switched to metal guides and it was not a problem anymore.

The guides on most decent surf rods are Silicone Carbide (SIC) or Aluminum Oxide. Look for these if you want to try braid.

When I spool my braid I first use a couple of turns of twenty pound mono on the spool to a uni-uni knot into the braid. This will also eliminate the braid spinning on the spool. If you are ever in doubt or need a hands on demonstration just go down to a reputable bait and tackle shop that spools your line on for you. Watch them and ask questions.

View PostStill learning here gang, still have not got a rod and reel set up for June.

Are there certain eye/rods that you can use braid on and some not? What is the criteria?

I'm assuming all reels it really does not matter or does it?

I was looking at the Power Pro braid or the suffix mono.

Hope to get a reel with two spools so I can do one of each.

Couple of quick questions for you bud. Are you using conventional or spinning? And, how are you fishing, pluggage or bait?

Very important.

Spig

Spig,

I am looking to get a "GOOD FOR NOTHING ROD/REEL". A rod/reel that I can use to cast some 2-3 oz sting silvers/Krocs for a bit then switch over to bait and have a beer.

I'm looking at 8 foot 3/4-4oz type rods(Tica/Tsunami/Emcast/Sealiner/Ugly BigWater) and a reel in the 4000-5000 series(Sargus/Emcast/Execeler(Cabela's Tournament xm)).

I plan on about 14 or 17lb "mono equalilant"

If you have other suggestions in this $130ish price range please let me know.

Tony

View PostSpig,

I am looking to get a "GOOD FOR NOTHING ROD/REEL". A rod/reel that I can use to cast some 2-3 oz sting silvers/Krocs for a bit then switch over to bait and have a beer.

I'm looking at 8 foot 3/4-4oz type rods(Tica/Tsunami/Emcast/Sealiner/Ugly BigWater) and a reel in the 4000-5000 series(Sargus/Emcast/Execeler(Cabela's Tournament xm)).

I plan on about 14 or 17lb "mono equalilant"

If you have other suggestions in this $130ish price range please let me know.

Tony

Take a good look at the Quantum PTS reels in that price range. I have a few of them and love them. Really hard to beat in their price range. They are not VS or Zeebass reels but they are also about 1/4 the price of the top end reels. They come with two spools, one for braid and one for mono, and as long as you don't drop them in the sand, they will give you years of service.

As to the rods you mentioned, I have not fished any of them but have heard good things about the Tica and Tsunami and the ones I've seen in stores seem to have been pretty nicely made with decent actions.

Good luck and enjoy.

Spig

for your price range just look at the BPS combos....they seem to do okay for

what you are looking for...

I would stick to mono alot cheaper and easier to use...braid is going to run

you as much as the rod or reel...and has a learning curve

that have people pulling their hair out....

My take for what you are looking for

Rod> Ande tournament surf ATS-900A...is a 9ft rod and runs $40 and feels

and cast just like a Tica rod...

Reel> Daiwa Emcast Plus6000 runs about $75 and will cast a mile

Just like any entry rod/reel remember to wash and lube your gear down after

every use...should last you a while...

Look at ebay they have a good price on both these item and they also have

great deals on mono line...

beers.gif

Guys, Thanks for all the help on selection. Lots and lots of choices it seems like. I will keep you updated and a picture when complete.

I purchased yesterday: Tsunami TROPHY 8' Saltwater Surf Spinning Rod TSTSS802M and it will be here Friday go it for $60.

I'm leaving for Cabelas now, they have the Sargus 5000 for $68 in the bargin bin if they did not sale it as well as the 3000 model. They also have Cabelas/(Dawia Ecelcer Clone) Tournament XM reel in 4000 on sale for $50. I hope they have the emcast as well for me to look at.