Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iphish

Charging the battery (s)

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

My batterys are dead, I lerft something on while working on it.

Senario: I have a charger. I have 2 batterys, #1 is the starter battery, #2 is a deep cycle- they are wired together and then to a perko switch.

Do I charge them both separately? disconecting them from each other and the boat? What setting should I put the perko switch on? 1?,2? or all?

How long approximatly should they charge for, is several hours or over night?

anything else I should be concerned with?

I'd like to get out this weekend....biggrin.gif

I have a similar setup, I installed an onboard charger for just the type of problems you are having...It makes no difference where the switch is positioned as the cahrger leads go direct to the batteries, I have a Guest 5/5 on board charger, two leads go to one batt and two to the other....Plug it in and forget it, one of the better investments I made for around $119...If your using a automotive type charger just clip the aligator clips to the battery you want to charge, again, it wont matter what position your batt switch is in because the charger is direct to the battery however, since the batterys are connected some of the charge is going to go to the other battery, leave the batt swithc in "all" and it will do both batts...

If you have a trickle charger just remove the battery from the boat and charge. 8 hrs each should be plenty for each battery and then your ready for the weekend.

On a basic, simplistic level, you have to put in what you took out. So if the batteries are dead, you have to put in what they hold when fully charged.

A couple of examples: A typical starting battery might be rated at 60AH (amp/hours). Not counting losses and efficiencies, you have to put the equivalent back in. So for example if you had a 10 amp battery charger, 6 hours would pretty much charge up a dead 60AH battery.

Same goes for the deep cycle. Say yours is 100AH, that same 10 amp charger would need 10 hrs to get it near fully charged from fully drained.

A smaller charger will take longer. A trickle charger is usually 1-2Amps and will take almost forever.

Charging them while connected together should be fine. Set the battery switch to "both" and connect your charger to one of the batteries. The switch being in the 'both' position will allow charging current to go to both. To get a rough idea of how long it will take, add the capacity of the two batteries together and divide by your charger's max output.

For example. 60+100=160 If you have a 10 amp charger, they'll be mostly charged (above 80%) after 16 hrs. If you have a 5 amp charger, 32hrs.

Next time, never leave your battery switch in the both position so you always have one in reserve.

Hope this helps.

Ken

I left battery on a charger for 18 hours. Should be fully charged right?

all my electronics lights, feruno, horn and bilge pump works fine. However I can not get my engine started, not even amild click- deader than a doornail.

2005 115 yama 4 stroke, winterised the works, no rodents. worked fine all last summer with not so much of a hick up. won't turn over or even attempt to.....no sound, no nothing.confused.gif

My lanyard is hooked up, throttle is in nutral, I tried to start it using the switch, 1, 2 and all- still no juice.

any ideas? I have not tested the batteries. (That will be tuesday)- iwould hate to have to pay for a mechanic-but may have to.

Does it crank over? If it doesn't, the battery may be dead even tho your other electronics work. The amount of amps needed to start the engine far exceeds the amps needed to work your other electronics. A "dead" battery could have enough amps to work low amperage draw electronics. Ever have a dead car battery but the radio worked?

Point taken, when I hooked up my charger, which has a guage of how much the battery is charged, It was close to 100%- the batterys are hooked in tandem.

One of the batterys has a 03/07 sticker on it, the other one looks in simular condition but no actaul date on it.-even though there are those peel off little disks for month/year.

Couldn't the engine be jump started off the charger though?- like a car?

Are your terminals clean and tight? Any corrosion on cables? Look for hidden breaks with corrosion on the wires to starter/engine. The most innocuous break could be enough to stopp sufficient current. I ah a battery wingnut once that loved to back off on vibration and did the same thing. Dead as a doornail, tightened it and varooom.

View PostI left battery on a charger for 18 hours. Should be fully charged right?

all my electronics lights, feruno, horn and bilge pump works fine. However I can not get my engine started, not even amild click- deader than a doornail.

2005 115 yama 4 stroke, winterised the works, no rodents. worked fine all last summer with not so much of a hick up. won't turn over or even attempt to.....no sound, no nothing.confused.gif

My lanyard is hooked up, throttle is in nutral, I tried to start it using the switch, 1, 2 and all- still no juice.

any ideas? I have not tested the batteries. (That will be tuesday)- iwould hate to have to pay for a mechanic-but may have to.

I just mounted a brand new Yami 70 2 stroke. Connected to a used Ebay 703 Control box. Brand new wiring throughout and brand new battery turned on the bilge, lights, gps, radio, ff perfectly. Turn the key, as you said, DEAD AS A DOORNAIL. Nothing. After much testing, found out it was the "Neutral Safety Switch" inside the control box. Disconnected and over rode it and boom, she started right away. We bypassed it but ordered the part to restrict the engine from starting in Drive or reverse. Might be that.

YEP, thats just what it was, some corrosian under the Positive terminal jacket, I cleaned it all out and lubed it. Engine fired right up.

Goes to show no matter how clean copper can look, all it takes is one area.

Thanx to those that have contributed their thoughts & suggestions.highfive.gif