Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChocoLab

hook up, hook down

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

so when riggin sluggo's, fin-s-fish etc, how do people rig the hook. i've seen people rig them with the hook up or with the hook down. I like hook up, but am curious to see what others do. thanks, dave

If you are talking about rigging on a straight-shanked hook or in tandem, I think the correct way is hook down. Not that it really matters much, but they will always ride with the hook pointed down in the water. If you are using a two toned sluggo, the colors could be upside down and look goofy... But then again, injured baitfish often swim upside down. So I really don't think it matters that much.

For what it's worth the only time I rig them hook up is on a jighead or with a wobblehead.

Weightless straight shanked hook - hook point is on the bottom.

Weightless/weedless hook - hook point is on top and the point is located VERY close to the lures body. That's what makes it weedless.

Weighted jighead - hook point is on top.

So, rig 2-toned soft plastic so the dark side is on top.

View Post

Weightless/weedless hook - hook point is on top and the point is located VERY close to the lures body. That's what makes it weedless.

Aggreed... I should have added that to my post at the top. Rigged on an offset hook, you obviously want the point coming out the top of the bait.