Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gmofftarki

Crimping

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone use crimping as a method of connection in surf-fishing? Obviously I could see single crimps being used for things like Poppy's fishfinder rigs for BIG red drum, as well as (potentially) giving a maximum threshold for fishfinder travel on other bait rigs.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...ght=fishfinder

Someone told me that up to 150# to 200# tackle, it's not really essential, but minimizing the number of "potential points of failure" might well be worth it in a number of different situations. Especially if using 'expensive' tackle like several dollars worth of fluorocarbon or a $30 lure, and especially if the lure in question requires a loop knot rather than a standard direct-tie or a snap.

Anyone ever give it a try? The initial investment is a bit expensive ($60 or so for a pair of swager pliers, crimps, enough stuff to practice with), at least in the context of "imagine how much bait and how many hooks I could buy with that!", but it might be worth the investment? Especially since I also enjoy some offshore party-boat fishing, and with 100-130# Fluorocarbon, it might be easier to get a reliable crimp than a perfectly tied palomar?

Just curious.

I use crimps on my leaders that are 80 and 100 lb test. And even 60 lb leaders sometimes. I have never had an issue. You can find a less expensive crimping tool. I have a SevenStrand tool. I spent less than $10 on it. I would reccomend using double sleeve crimps. They are easier to work with.

View PostI use crimps on my leaders that are 80 and 100 lb test. And even 60 lb leaders sometimes. I have never had an issue. You can find a less expensive crimping tool. I have a SevenStrand tool. I spent less than $10 on it. I would reccomend using double sleeve crimps. They are easier to work with.

For bass from shore, I almost never go above 60# test for my leader. I dream of being able to bust out the 80 or 100 pound test line and say to myself "this is fully justified".

Granted, I almost never go below 40# either (light shads/plugs in spring being about the only exception).

You need the expensive tool (swager) to use the double-sleeved crimps though, right?

View PostFor bass from shore, I almost never go above 60# test for my leader. I dream of being able to bust out the 80 or 100 pound test line and say to myself "this is fully justified".

Granted, I almost never go below 40# either (light shads/plugs in spring being about the only exception).

You need the expensive tool (swager) to use the double-sleeved crimps though, right?

I use the 80 & 100 lb test during the Spring run of large stripers. In NJ it is alot of jetty fishing this time of year and the thicker leader helps with the abrasion of the rocks and you can grab the 80/100 lb leader with your hand and not worry getting cut. Any other time of the year, I use 40 or 60 lb. and tie knots.

The crimping tool I mentioned(SevenStrand) actually costs around $20 and it works for the double sleeved crimps.