Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DDRRedneck500

how to weight a spook

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

well, im pretty new to plug building, and i've gotten down a few styles of lures pretty well. so i want to move on to more styles now. im planning to try my hand now at a couple spooks, but first i wanted to ask you guys here, where do you place the weights, and about how much weight would you put in relative to the size of the lure.

thanks for any input.

-Ryan

This may sound like I'm busting your B's, but I'm not...It depends on what you want it to do and, what I've discovered lately, what kind of wood you're using.

If it's a "walk the dog" action a tail weight alone MAY make it work, but a bit more weight somewhere between the tail and the belly hook is in order...that's where the type of wood comes into play. For you and anyone else that makes these VERY EFFECTIVE plugs, just do some experimenting with that second weight with each type of wood that you're using. Here is my example...AWC vs. AYC vs. ERC...AWC is a bit lighter and ERC a bit heavier than AYC ("heavier" may not be the correct word...maybe more like density)...I weight it 1/2 of the weight hole farther forward than with AYC and 1/2 a hole farther back with ERC....AND I adjust the AMOUNT of weight to make the plug do what I want it to. If it's just straight motion forget the bull crap and just tail weight it...guess what...it'll still catch fishcwm27.gif

The hunt for big fish had a section on one of his favorite spooks. he was saying that the spook was made from rock maple with a small button of lead foward of the belly hook. I found this to be pretty interesting becasue of all the research I've done on here says the oposite. He did a quick demo on how a dense wood with a nose wieght will actually shoot further than a less dense wood so the side to side action will be exaderated. I tried it with one of my spooks (nose wight instead of the typical belly weight and I think I like it though I've only gotten one eat on it so far). I certainly like how it sits more horizontal and life like when paused though.

not sure if this helps

Matt

My larger spooks are "rear" tail weighted on the wire. My smaller FW spooks are weighted with split shot between the belly hook and the tail hook. I'm always experimenting though.

Making some 6" muskie spooks for the first time right now and made all 3 of them a little different with regard to weight and placement to see what happens biggrin.gif . You need to mark them so you remember which is which.

There is no right or wrong way to weigh a spook. It depends on you and your interpretation as to what you want that spook to do. Tail weight, belly weight, front weight, or a combination of placements are done to give you a better feel for how your plug will swim in the waters you intend it to do. There is no one right answer. All play a part in how you build.