Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pete Goodine

Sun fish for stripers

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Check your fish and game regs. Most don't allow the use of gamefish for bait. We used to live line trout for striped bass in the Delaware but you had to get the "bait" from a hatchery and prove you got it there if you were stopped.

I highly doubt that sunfish is considered a gamefish. That being said, you would have to check all types of similar panfish. Like blue-gill, pumpkinseed, etc.

I have used little bluegills for 8+ lb LMB, so I assume that hybrid's would go for them too. To me they will see "hey it's smaller, that must mean I can eat it"

Back in 1986 sun and crappie washed over dam on the mattapoisett river .they were trapped in the brackish water in the coastal marsh. we used them to live line stripers. in pure salt thy last 5- 8 min. but they produced large stripers on buzzard bay structure, angelica point, mattapoistt ledge, west island reef. great baits even when dead.

yes...many many many times in the CT river during the spring run..pike and stripers..

My BIL throws them in the salt at bluefish blitzes...I always tell him..what can you throw into a BF blitz that wont catch them..seems like a lot of trouble headscratch.gif

I read about this someplace before that it is illegal to use a freshwater fish as bait in salt water and vice versa (not that it means it was true, plus it may vary state to state confused.gif ). I would think that if you are talking about hybrids then it would definitely work and be legal at least by the rules that I heard about before.

View PostYou need to buy that dude a couple of Roberts Rangers. He'll catch as many or more blues and won't need to worry about bait.

that's what I'm saying

View PostBack in 1986 sun and crappie washed over dam on the mattapoisett river .they were trapped in the brackish water in the coastal marsh. we used them to live line stripers. in pure salt thy last 5- 8 min. but they produced large stripers on buzzard bay structure, angelica point, mattapoistt ledge, west island reef. great baits even when dead.

Thats a really cool story...thanks for sharing!