Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HugeDinghy

repairing a castnet

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have a castnet that has some pull on the bottom where the net itself meets the rope with the lead..can I just use mono to tie this back together?

Prolly a silly question but I have never repaired a casnet headscratch.gif

I had a page full ready to post when the machine ate it?

If I understand it correctly, the webbing has separated from the leadline; a common occurrence. Both take a lot of abuse.

I lay the net across my lap while sitting in a straight backed chair with a good light where I can see what's happening and examine it. I do have small shuttles loaded with nylon. You can merely wrap the nylon around a stick. Also nice to carry if emergency repairs are required while using it.

Go around the entire leadline/webbing juncture with nylon making double half hitches. when you get to the end, tie off with a double square knot. Burn the ends of the thread to prevent unraveling. Apply a touch of epoxy to the knot.

While we're at it, go to the top to the horn(ring at the top) and see how that's getting along. Embarrassing to say the least when you dump a load of fish/shrimp when it turn loose.

That juncture can be merely wrapped for 2-3 turns of nylon, ending with a square knot burnt and epoxied as above.

I have pictures that I used in a netmaking class inthe computer somewhere. I'll take a look and if I can find, will post. Stay tuned.

See if this what you need. C2

My castnet is about 5 years old and probably has close to 200 yards of 20lb test holding it together LOL Ive always used mono and never have a problem with it tearing back through the net but it does make more sense to use Dacron or Nylon to sew it back together.

I have some hand woven nylon nets that are pushing 50 years old.

I made them white then dipped in green to make them stiff. When I repaired them, I used white leaving areas of white. Looks like a spotted tom cat.

I use mono fishing line to repair holes /tears in the mono main webbing.

When I get to the horn/leadline, I use nylon/dacron to hold them together. Makes tight, flexible knots. Both areas take a lot of abuse.

When I made nets, I used doubled twine in both places. C2