Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JFigliuolo

Removing SW corrosion

6 posts in this topic

Whats a good way to clean up corrosion on electrical conections? Like On my FF that's getting flakey. It's minor, but I'd like to clean it up and put some dielectric grease on it.

Radio shack used to sell very small paint brush type brass brushes. Its been awhile since I bought any so I dont know if they carry them.

You could also look at commutator cleaning brushes "Comm stick" is what we used to call them. Its a sharpie sized pen that you twist toexpose fiberglass bristles that work well for cleaning soft metals like the brass they use in radio control car motors. Team trinity used to sell one that worked great. I believe they were originally marketed for cleaning out paint chips and scratches prior to touch up work. Any good hobby shop should sell them.

You could also buy a brass dremel brush and use it without the dremel. Im sure using it by hand will clean the contacts just fine. Man... I am a walking book of useless knowlege todaycwm15.gif + headscratch.gif = cwm40.gif

Baking soda, vinegar and water. Mix it up thick and apply. I use old sports water bottles and douse the connectors. Let it sit for a bit and wash off. Hopefully the corrosion stopped at the brass connectors but usually it finds it's way into the wires.

For 7 seasons now I've been using Ox Guard from Ace and True Value stores. Not a hint of any corrosion. Sure beats tossing out fish finders after a season or two. icon14.gif