Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mullica Bob

Any info on these reels?

33 posts in this topic

Figured I'd put up some pics of some older reels my dad has had for a long time. Would just like to know of their value and if they have any kind of history in the fishing realm.

1:Mitchell 406, fished but not much.

2:Pflueger Supreme NIB never fished

3:Alcedo, not sure of the model #, made in Italy, fished lightly.

4:Tomsurf, Not sure if it was fished, made in us, rear drag.

Any info would be great. Not looking to sell or even fish just an estimate of worth and a little history on them.

The Mitchell 406 is a high-speed version of a 306. A good reel. I remember seeing Stan Gibbs in ads for the 406. I'd fish it if it was mine.

I'm guessing the Pflueger Supreme is worth at least $75 to $100 if it's really NIB.

Sad to say, The Pflueger Supreme even new in the box is a common reel and in today's market it's worth around $40. The Alcedo reel might be worth about $30. The Tomsurf is an odd one and might wind up to be the best one in the group. Is there any dates or patent numbers on it or the paperwork? Might be able to get a little more info. about it if there is. I am not sure when the rear drag spinning reel started. The best known older one is the Zebco and it was made in the mid 60's. Looking at the shape of the reel and the address on the paperwork, the reel is earlier than that.

My Pop's has two of the Supreme's. One was fished a bit and the other one has some black Dacron looking line on it but has never seen water. It has a cardboard box a bag and then a leather type hard case with a little latch. In the pic of the Supreme you can see the rubber guards, I believe, that have dry rotted and hardened to the point they are hanging off. I personally don't believe it was meant to be on there because the knobs on the crank have a black/grayish marbling on them. I think it was just meant to protect till you used it.

The Tomsurf is a strange reel. Has the anti reverse on the handle shaft.

Thanks guy's.

In my opinion the Mitchell 406 (which is a nice model reel) however alot were mfg. around 40.00, the tomsurf which i think was swiss made. of which there are fewer made than the mitchell, still only around 40.00. The pfleuger (nice shape) but common, mabey around 45.00 only because of the box. The Alcedo i've seen sell for between 150.00 and 200.00 and more on the Ebay many times and i'm not sure why? HOWEVER I have an old Parker catalog from 1969 which has that very reel (Alcedo Mark V & 1V) selling for 95.00 while other quality reels were going for about 29.95 in that same catalog.

The Tomsurf says US made but I'll have to look closer on the paper to see if there's anything else. Not much other than some specs and stuff like that I think.

The Alcedo can be made bailess. Not sure if it was a separate part or what. It's heavy and beefy.

The Alcedo looks to be in good condition I would put it up for auction if your looking to sell it,there are collectors World wide of Alcedo reels,dont make a mistake with that reel tread carefully......rreelman

i agree with most of what's said however i find alceado all the time over the winter at flea markets injersey generally 25-50 tops.

the tomsurf is the gem.

if your looking to sell put it in specialized auction not on a forum or fleabay,

oddball's have the novelty and collector guy's going against each other.

i will ask a buddy of mine if he has any info as he is more knowledgable on spinners than i.

nice reel tho

By the way, what's going on with the Pflueger Supreme? It's hard to tell from your pic, but it looks like there is some sort of rubbery stuff around the left side plate. There are rubber grips around the handle knobs, which were an optional accessory. They are removable but I would leave them alone for fear of damaging them.

View PostBy the way, what's going on with the Pflueger Supreme? It's hard to tell from your pic, but it looks like there is some sort of rubbery stuff around the left side plate. There are rubber grips around the handle knobs, which were an optional accessory. They are removable but I would leave them alone for fear of damaging them.

The grips and the rubber around the side plate have become very hard and brittle. It's hanging off on the side plate. Figured I'd just let it ride till it turns to dust.

View PostThat Tomsurf spinner is very cool, very retro, looks like it should have caddy fins and lot's of chrome.biggrin.gif

Never saw a finned rear drag knob like the Tomsurf's.

KOOL!