Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HatterasJack

Who's had a problem reaching behind to access the milk crate

21 posts in this topic

any horror stories ???

this question came about by this post in another thread -

View Post

I know for a fact that bad things would happen if I were to try to reach around to a tackle box behind me on my seat.

how problematic is turning around ?

Everybody has a problem with it. Thats why all the stuff I use most often is in front of me. Most of my milk crate stuff is emergency gear and other items I don't need very often.

Sit Side Saddle or only carry one or two items in the crate.

I dont use them. I put 3 dry bags tethered on bungee that I reach behindm, grab strap and get bag in lap. Less wind drag to.

Too many people try to take too much and never use 7/8 of it cause its out of comfortable reach in 15 knot winds and bouncing swells.cwm31.gif

View PostSit Side Saddle or only carry one or two items in the crate.

I dont use them. I put 3 dry bags tethered on bungee that I reach behindm, grab strap and get bag in lap. Less wind drag to.

Too many people try to take too much and never use 7/8 of it cause its out of comfortable reach in 15 knot winds and bouncing swells.cwm31.gif

I think the use ratio of 1/8th of the crap I bring is pretty high. I keep couple xtra rods behind me and some safety equipment and utilize the 8 inch hatch between my legs for plano boxes. I can fit an enormus amount of tackle in the hatch. Side saddle is the only other option, reaching will through off most peoples balance and you will watch the items on you crate sink to the bottom as you practice your re-entry techniques.

View PostMy crate is mostly for extra back support, plus the stuff I don't use much. I learned early on not to reach back into a plug bag without looking. cwm31.gif

The crate is nice on the mini-x and the Aegeans for back support. On the Perception, I'm going to skip the crate altogether on the next trip. I'm looking at a small tackle bag between the legs, the trolling rod in the front scotty, and a plugging rod in one of the rear scottys.

I dumped this weekend reaching back to a scotty holder I rigged at the wrong angle. It could have just as easily have been the crate.

Side Saddle for stuff I've rigged outside the cooler.....and if I need stuff inside my cooler rig I turn and get up on my knees.....no problems....yetcwm31.gif....but I've got an X-Factor.....pretty stable!!!

Tackle Storage Boxes are in the hatch between my legs....rods come out just by reaching backwards and lifting them out of the holders......Can turn side saddle and shut off my lite the way I've rigged it on top of the cooler without having to go back to the beach....or leave it on because I couldn't reach it as it was rigged by KFS.

And before anyone says anything about my fish-bat......I'm going for Cobia in VA next monthtongue.gif Pull one of them on your boat "green" with no batbiggrin.gif

Lite remounted on top of cooler and gear attached to cooler via Caribbean'rs all within' access as well as in the cooler on my knee's. Also......fish stringer hooked to clip on deck...fish can stay in water:

DSC00461.jpg

Hand held VHF goes in the Lime green bag clipped to the cooler and it has a drawstring to close the bag for safe keeping:

PC130693.jpg

Before I "RE-ORGANIZED" after hitting the water....these shots below were from initial rig-up before going outredface.gif Couldn't reach the lite when mounted in the back....also better organized my gear to get tackle storage below deck....no more plug bag on deck eithercwm31.gif

IMG_0038.jpg

Shot from other side with clutter:

IMG_0040.jpg

I'm in a good habit of holding on to the center strap of the kayak when reaching behind for a quick item. For me it gives a balance point especially in chop when you need an item right away. If there is a vulnerable time to flip while kayak fishing it has to be reaching behind. If I need to dig for something I'll sit side saddle. If your not use to sitting side saddle or can't, land and get the item you need. Don't take the chance.

View PostSit Side Saddle or only carry one or two items in the crate.

Great minds think alike... I traded my milk crate for a large dry bag a while back. But still, 95% of everything that I need tethered inside the boat accessable through the front hatch.

I keep everything in the crate other than a lipper and a pair of needle nose. Just swing my legs over the side when I need to get in there. Not a problem. I like to keep the cockpit clean, especially when flycasting.

Why is this an issue?

View Post

Why is this an issue?

because as others have said - it can get tricky and dicey

some good suggestions are coming forward as well

it's a lot like the old addage from murphy - 'whatever you don't bring is what you'll need the most' wink.gif

I keep a big bottle of H2O, a softside 6pack cooler with rigging supplies attached with a cord which is also attached at the other end next to my seat. I just grab the cord, raise my arm straight up and the cooler comes to me. I may put a ziplock bag full of misc. gulp back there too, but I'll spin sidesaddle to grab that. I use a crate specifically as a rod holder, flag holder and stern light holder, not necessarily to store gear....tackle goes through the center hatch.

I have only 1 inner ear for balance... so for me, it makes a diffenence which way I turn to get anything from behind me... I'm still at little carefull ... and the ruf'er the water... the harder it is... I mostly have stuff in a backpack right behind me ... I reach for it only to open it in front of me.... its a lot easier...