Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eddy

Californians don't want higher taxes

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

they also don't want to sock away surpluses during good years to off set deficits in bad years -

they also don't want a spending cap

seems to me the results of those elections indicate that californians want t he worst of all worlds

The gov had tried to bank some of the surpluses a few years ago and was shot down. Now with the indisputable evidence that their reliance on income tax to fund their budget puts them at greater risks furing down years, a $41billion deficit in their face, they could be so stupid to pass on the idea of a rainy day fund.

NY may have the most dysfunctional govenrment in the union, but californians take take the cake on stupidity.

View Post

You hear that Obama?

Does he hear that? Doubtful. After all he sat in Jeremiah Wright's church for 20 years and never heard a USA-bashing word he said.

View PostA bellwether day at the polls.

http://projects.latimes.com/election...s/results/map/

65% don't want higher taxes.

You hear that Obama?

The rejected measures may be a HUGE bellwether.

By BRIAN JOSEPH and MARTIN WISCKOL

The Orange County Register

Comments 14| Recommend 6

SACRAMENTO California voters appeared to overwhelmingly reject five of six budget reform measures Tuesday, setting the stage for more brutal spending cuts and further jeopardizing the state's financial stability.

Election returns late Tuesday showed Propositions 1A through 1E failing by wide margins with more than half of precincts reporting.

Pre-election polling had predicted failure for the measures, which would have borrowed against future lottery proceeds, delayed payments to schools, redirected state revenues, capped state spending and extended temporary tax increases.

"I think the voters spoke resoundingly tonight," Orange County Assemblyman Chuck DeVore, R-Irvine said at a No on Prop. 1A election party less than an hour after polls closed at 8 p.m. "I think the Legislature has one last chance to get it right and if they fail I believe voters will take matters into their own hands and enact a solution that will shake the foundation of the political establishment from the Pacific to the Atlantic."

The voters' apparent rejection of the measures ranks as one of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's biggest political defeats and leaves his budget solutions in tatters.

The measures were part of the February budget deal including tax increases and spending cuts that were supposed to close a $42 billion deficit. But in the time since the measures were crafted, sales and income tax revenue has continued to tank.

Now, the state faces a $15.4 billion deficit if the measures pass, or a $21.3 billion deficit if they fail.

"Today we have heard from the voters and I respect the will of the people who are frustrated with the dysfunction in our budget system," the governor said in a written statement that was handed out to reporters less than an hour after polls closed. "Now we must move forward from this point to begin to address our fiscal crisis with constructive solutions," Schwarzenegger said.

Schwarzenegger spent election night in Washington, D.C., where he appeared with President Obama at a White House press conference.

The only measure to garner voter support was Prop. 1F, which will do virtually nothing to help the state's budget outlook. Prop. 1F blocks state elected officials from receiving a salary increase during tough economic times.

At best, it'll save the state $500,000 a year, but that's unlikely. The salaries of state officials are determined by an independent commission and it hasn't granted many raises in the last decade.

Prop. 1F only was put on the ballot to appease a Republican lawmaker who initially didn't want to vote for the February budget deal. State Sen. Abel Maldonado, R-Santa Maria, wants to run for statewide office someday and could use the measure to bolster his image with voters.

"I am delighted, but not surprised by its passage," Maldonado said in a written statement. "The success of Proposition 1F demonstrates the fact that voters are angry and simply don't trust Sacramento anymore."

Last week, the governor unveiled two budget proposals, one that assumes the measures pass, the other assuming that most fail. Both plans call for laying off 5,000 state employees, $3 billion in education cuts and selling state landmarks like the Los Angeles Coliseum, the Orange County Fairgrounds and San Quentin State Prison.

If the measures fail, as they appeared to, the governor proposes an additional $2.4 billion in education cuts, eliminating insurance coverage for 225,000 children, cutting short the prison terms of 19,000 illegal immigrants and borrowing $2 billion from cities and counties.

Other than the layoffs, however, the governor cannot borrow or make any of the cuts without the Legislature's approval. With the apparent failure of the key measures, Schwarzenegger now will have to go back to the Legislature to craft another solution to the budget. The last budget deal took nearly five months to negotiate.

"There's no doubt we've got to cut and we've got to make some adjustments," said State Sen. George Runner, R-Antelope Valley, at the No on 1A party. "But are we going to ask the harder question: How can we get better value? How can we get better value with the tax dollars being sent to Sacramento and still provide the kind of services that Californians deserve?

View Postthey also don't want to sock away surpluses during good years to off set deficits in bad years - .

View PostAfter all he sat in Jeremiah Wright's church for 20 years .

maybe if Californians went to the church they would know that chickens come home to roost.

if you spend it all in the good years,

or buy votes with refund checks,

there is nothing in the coffers for the bad years.

View Post

if you spend it all in the good years,

or buy votes with refund checks,

there is nothing in the coffers for the bad years.

lol nice stab at the federal government whose revenues and erxpenses are far different than california's

I will agree that under the republican controlled congress, they truned taht into their own candy store and were rightfully booted from office.

In this thread about California, the republican governor has been calling for more responsible fiscal policy and both the elected officials* AND the citizens have no real desire to take the steps to fix their underlying budget problems.

let's keep this thread on topic.

* This would include both parties, the dems do not want to curtail spending and the republicans do not want to raise taxes. I am not a fan of raising taxes. They can have the reverse effect (i.e. lower revenues as a result of worsening a recession). I am all for closing loopholes.

mike,

don't tell me to stay on topic simply because you read into my posts... OK?

I'm not sure why you and others will accuse me and lecture me about a toe off the path, while letting a Jeremia Wright post sail thru.

gimme a break.

Local government, State government Federal Government.

doing what is right is rarely popular with voters.

and they all will piss away the surplus or make a show of being daddy warbucks and mailing checks back to you.

lets not talk about california voters as if they have any sense whatsoever. after all they voted for kindergarden cop as their governorkooky.gif

View Postmike,

don't tell me to stay on topic simply because you read into my posts... OK?

I'm not sure why you and others will accuse me and lecture me about a toe off the path, while letting a Jeremia Wright post sail thru.

gimme a break.

Local government, State government Federal Government.

doing what is right is rarely popular with voters.

and they all will piss away the surplus or make a show of being daddy warbucks and mailing checks back to you.

you quoted me, and I was addressing your comment about the topic. The other comment was in left field and not something I would care to waste my time on. You should be honored.

the difference is that we do not get to vote on federal budget matters.

in california, after years of failure by their senate to fix their underlying budget problems, they chose to throw out all solutions.

while some might mock California's governor, he has been a voice of reason in that state - even powerful democrats looked to him about reaching over party lines.

His polls have him around 30%, but in sacramento, that makes him the most popular person in their captitol. The legislators ring in a whopping 11% approval.

California voters are like the people who move from Mass to NH.

They move up to NH to get away from the Mass Taxes and then they notice that they don't have all of the services they had in Mass. So they start voting for politicians who promise to get them the services. So now NH is starting to look more like Mass. Wonder where they will move once they drive up the taxes in NH to the same levels as Mass.

Once again this is not the politicians fault, it is the peoples fault. They want more then they can afford. They will vote for whoever promises them the most. All the Governor needs to say now is, OK no tax increases so lets start cutting.

View Postlets not talk about california voters as if they have any sense whatsoever. after all they voted for kindergarden cop as their governorkooky.gif

they listened to Colin Powell and decided to vote for a moderate

Ask Californians whether they'd support their next-door neighbor paying more taxes if they were guaranteed to pay the same. That's a more accurate assessment.

One of the dumber comments I've ever seen was on a popular internet forum by someone who made her money through dubious means. "I really wish I could pay taxes on my income, because I just know the government could use them well" or something of that nature.

View Post

Next Bailout for us tax payers ! Watch your wallet, it is about to take another hit !

Yup. Obama will step in and bail them out. All on our dime.

View PostNext Bailout for us tax payers ! 40.gif California is to big to fail. Watch your wallet, it is about to take another hit !smile.gif

Dennissmile.gif

I'm thinking the same thing, what was Conan doing in DC while the vote was being taken?

"Today we have heard from the voters and I respect the will of the people who are frustrated with the dysfunction in our budget system," the governor said in a written statement that was handed out to reporters less than an hour after polls closed. "Now we must move forward from this point to begin to address our fiscal crisis with constructive solutions," Schwarzenegger said.

Schwarzenegger spent election night in Washington, D.C., where he appeared with President Obama at a White House press conference.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

EC