Fishing in St.Thomas/St. John

Rate this topic

Tiderunner07

Where is the house?  Sounds like you're staying really close to where I did.  You can get on the westin property easily they won't hassle you.  Good island vibes!  I'd try and rent kayaks if possible.  You can snorkel everywhere and all I saw was small reef fish. Gotta get to some of the deeper drop offs that are really hard to access on foot because it's treacherous cliffs.  I know the charter boats do really well inshore on tarpon  bonefish snook etc

The house is just east and up the mountain from from the Westin. I dont have an exact address, but the house name is la bella vita if you want to google it. It doesnt show the address, just general location. I'm not sure how far of a walk it would be since the road the house is on seems pretty windy and isn't really a direct route down to the westin. It looks like we will have some access to a car for part of the week and may even have access to a boat for one day. While i've never caught a tarpon or bonefish, i'd just like a decent chance of catching one. I realize this is more of a fun vacation than a fishing one, we were an added couple to my girlfriends friends vacation. So we we are just kind of along for the ride, but i figure i will have a few hours here and there that i can get away from the house and enjoy some quiet time trying to catch some fish or even just hooking one would be worth it for me!

I'm gonna bring a size 4000 reel with 30lb braid. what size leader material do you recommend? I was thinking like 12lb flouro for targeting bones, 25 for snook, and maybe 40lb for tarpon? Are the cuda's prevelant enough that I should bring some wire? Just don't want to overpack a bunch of stuff i'll never use and have to haul it around. I've never bonefished before, what type/size lures should i bring? Just some small 1/8 - 1/4 ounce jigs and shrimp type plastics?

• 3 months later...

I didn't really have that much luck... I went fishing a few times in the AM and a few late afternoons around some of the beaches we visited. I caught a few small groupers of some kind, a few small jacks and barracuda. Saw some sharks and a few big cuda's but couldn't get them to bite. Did see a few tarpon rolling in the people ferry basin, but it was during the day and didn't have my poll with me. Good luck, guessing fishing will be different that time of year too. I had my luck on spoons and jigs, nothing on plugs.