Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beachbuster

The young guys are lucky.

14 posts in this topic

Since all I do is think about fishing, I was thinking how lucky the younger guys are to have this site. It is a wealth of information from guys who have years of experience and are willing to share it. I started to fish as a very young boy whose father did not fish, he would take me whenever I wanted to go, but after he parked the car, I was on my own. It took years of being a pest to strangers, asking questions as to what they were using or how to fish a particular lure, and when to fish it. I also fish pretty heavy in the surf and when I started surf fishing(1975) it was a very closed mouth fisherie, boy I sure don't want to relive those days. Those old salts traded info around like sewer plates. With no internet at the time, it was read, read, and read about fishing as much as I could. I was never afraid to put the time in and try whatever I had just read, or was lucky enough to be told by someone. My point is, if you do not have a father who fishes, or someone to show you the ropes and need to learn how to fish, this is the place. Read and ask questions and share what works for you, but get out and fish, then share your successes. In a few short months here you will learn what took me years to obtain. Seize the day, learn, have fun, and share.

I'm done, I think my boss wants me to get back to workcwm31.gif

Its good to learn something everyday and fishing knowledge can never get old i feel great that i gain so much information. By the time I am in my 30's i will have so much knowledge that is key to fishing success

im 15 and fishing is a skill can be continued to learn for life. it doesn't matter that u only want to perfect at catching one species, a variety, fish waters all over the world, or experimenting different types of fishing. we can all learn. personally i want to abe able to catch as many species and variety of ways to fish.

so far i have had some luck trot-lining, lure casting, drifting, bottom fishing, set lining, jug fishing, jug and stake fishing(to my knowledge so far this is an originaly method i though of), cast netting, trapping, and been trying to catch decent size fish with bare hands.

Well said.....this site in particular the "salt" part has saved me years of experimentation. Just one note...nothing absolutely nothing takes the place of learning on your own. For all the "young people" here.....it is great to read and absorb, but no matter how much you read and comprehend nothing will take the place of actually going out and figuring out your own potential.

View PostWell said.....this site in particular the "salt" part has saved me years of experimentation. Just one note...nothing absolutely nothing takes the place of learning on your own. For all the "young people" here.....it is great to read and absorb, but no matter how much you read and comprehend nothing will take the place of actually going out and figuring out your own potential.

I couldn't agree morehighfive.gif

The point of the post is to gain knowledge, absorb, and get your brain working. Use your knowledge to experiment and try new things.

The internet has definatelly eased the learning curve of fishing quite a bit, combined with the amount of tv shows and the willingness for pros to share their tips. I agree that time on the water is the best, but step it up by fishing with other people, particularly people who are better than you or better at different techniques. I've learned much more from fishing with other skilled anglers, because what you can see and do sticks in your head much longer than something you read in an article.

In a few short months you will be a professional fisherman whether or not you even have gone fishing lol seen it many times people splurting out info that they havent even used lol