Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigeyes

softex crabs

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Excellent! They look rigid in the pics, so I wasn't sure.

Can you go into some detail on how you mold the Softex?

Alan

View PostHello

All the body of the crabs are make with softex and mix dubbing in latex mold,the result is not so bad but this take too much times for make it.beers.gif

Sounds like the Softex takes forever to cure.......You should look into the new flexible Tuffleye that Popovics was talking about. Bet that would cut down on your cure time.......

HC

The rigidity is medium,little bit comparable with soft shell crabs,if you add lead eyes inside the body the flie work point up,if you add foam point down.

View PostSounds like the Softex takes forever to cure.......You should look into the new flexible Tuffleye that Popovics was talking about. Bet that would cut down on your cure time.......

HC

Yes,this flie take times,because after put some vaseline in the mold you put the first softex coat and let dry,the second heavy coat come with dubbing,you have to wait again and then the coat number 3.I not try yet the flexible tuffleye.

Try SILLY PUTTY and TUFFLEYE FLEX. I was just in Louisiana and quite a few guys were using homemade molds for crab flies. I wish I had more time to observe to offer more help here. SILLY PUTTY was very popular. One guy made a STAMPING DEVICE with a crab shape on it and pressed it into the putty and cured Tuffleye in it. Lots of cool tiers down there.

BobPop

Cool, so it's a real crab shell that you use to form the casting, nice!

How about coloring the molded crab body? What are you using for that?

BobPop, what are guys using to color the FLEX?

Alan