Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shbeachbum

TV Repairman

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Can't help you in your area, but I do know that most TV/VCR/DVD guys charge about $35-$50 just to open it up to see what is wrong....

Depending on the TV and what you might think is wrong with it, that could be worth it or not.......

View PostCan't help you in your area, but I do know that most TV/VCR/DVD guys charge about $35-$50 just to open it up to see what is wrong....

Depending on the TV and what you might think is wrong with it, that could be worth it or not.......

+1. I had issues with one of my TVs, the internal degausser failed, so every thing looked like you were watching TV through a tie-dyed sheet. cwm13.gif I spoke to a reputable TV repair guy in my area, and he told me it would cost me $50 just for him to open it, if it was truly the degausser, the part was probably $200 and it would be another $100-150 in labor. And no guarantee that the problem wouldn't just come right back. All this for a TV that I got for free. headscratch.gif There was no way I was investing half the price of a new set to maybe fix the old one.

I went on-line, found a place I could buy a degaussing coil, for I think $60. I've had the problem crop up 3 or 4 times now (seems to be triggered by sever thunder storms), each time resolved in under 3 minutes with the degausser. Plus, I can now wipe out the hard drives of my enemies in a matter of seconds. biggrin.gif

Long story short, TVs these days are essentially "disposable". Sad, but true.

View PostWhat type of TV is it? Is it an LCD, plasma, CRT, projection, etc.. What is wrong with it?

I have a 36" Toshiba HD set with a picture tube. It is only 4 yrs old. The problem is when you turn the set on, you get squiggly lines going across the screen and then a cloudy picture. You cannot read any thing on the screen such as news scrolling across the bottom or words shown during a commerical. Sound is normal.

Now the mystery--the problem cleared up by itself. The set is back to normal. This tells me that something is unstable and probably ready to go. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shbeachbum,

Well, it doesn't sould like a typical analog CRT TV problem. Your TV may be OK and just a fluke situation (pardon the pun since we're on a fishing forum). Since it's a digital set chances are something got scrambled or disturbed in the programming of the microprocessor/memory such as a minor voltage fluctuation and screwed up the way digital video is processed and at some point there was a minor power interruption that reset the processor/memory or maybe you did a reset somewhere along the way and cleared the problem. How's it been since you first noticed this symptom?

You could always put the set on a UPS. It's really no different than a computer these days.

View Post How's it been since you first noticed this symptom?

You could always put the set on a UPS. It's really no different than a computer these days.

It has been fine. I'm going to sit tight to see if it happens again.

Have no idea if this is related to the cause, but I heard on the radio the other day that some stations were doing a preliminary test for a few hours (don't remember the date or times) on the analog to digital transition thing. Don't have the exact details of what it was all about redface.gif, but perhaps that had something to do with the problem?