Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cobia_slayer

more blank info? (1508, 1509 and 1569)

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I read an old post about the rainshadow 1509. Also mentioned in the post was the 1508 and 1569.

From my understandings the 1508 is a bit lighter than the 1509 but is still a stout rod. And many times the word "breast" discribed the 1509. Out of these two I think I would plan on getting a 1509 because I'm planning on using this rod mainly for surf fishing with big weights and bigger baits.

But what exactly is the 1569? Is it also a 8+n'bait rod? And does it have the power to haul in a big fish?

View PostYup the 1569 is just longer then the 1509. 1509 is 150" with a 9 power rating and hte 1569 is 156" with a 9 power rating.

Its more than that. the 1509 is a 70/30 split and the 1569 is 60/40 split.

The 1509 is stiffer than the 1569 and seems to load a bit different.

PS--these blanks arn't mass produced anymore. It is extremely hard to find them. Rainshadow has release a new series of surf blanks labeled SUR instead of SU. These new blank are completely different animals as compared to the old blanks. In other words SU1569 is not equall to SUR1569

View PostIts more than that. the 1509 is a 70/30 split and the 1569 is 60/40 split.

The 1509 is stiffer than the 1569 and seems to load a bit different.

PS--these blanks arn't mass produced anymore. It is extremely hard to find them. Rainshadow has release a new series of surf blanks labeled SUR instead of SU. These new blank are completely different animals as compared to the old blanks. In other words SU1569 is not equall to SUR1569

I kinda got the hint that they weren't made any more from that other post. But thanks for letting me know...

What are some of the major differences in the SU and SUR models? I'm willing to bet I can find the SU but I'm not 100% sure. Also in the other post I think I read that the RSSU1509 were coppies of the Allstar/Breakaway 1509. Is this true and what's the similarities with the two? And are they more readily available?

If I'm not able to find these rods, what are some very similar rods?

I know where one 1569 is located and a buddy of mine knows where to get ahold of 2 1509's (tacpayne). If you are iterested let me or him know.

Just to clarify my earlier post and fftreed's....Both of these blanks in the origional form will do exactly what you want them for. I assumed by your location transporting them would not be an issue so I did not clarify the split for you. Either way you are looking at an 8' plus tip section. One thing to keep in mind and to have your builder or you can do so, is to check and see if the company will honor the warrenty now that they are no longer produced. Keri Batson is not a hard guy to get in touch with and he will be upfront and honest with you. I have heard of a couple 1569 breaking but have not heard of a 1509 breaking. The 1509 I believe has a bit thicker wall and a bit heavier.

Call me lucky!

I went to one of the local tackle shops and two of the guys that work there buil specifically on 1509's and 1569's. Ima go in tomorrow and talk to them more about it and see what I can come up with biggrin.gif

I went to talk to the guy at the shop, and... He has no more SU1509's however he can get some of Tommy Wheeler' blanks. He recommends the "fusion magnum" and the next one up (can't remember the name). He says the he can't get the "nail" anymore (not so sure why).

Their about $100 more than the Rainshadow. But he says that their (in his opinion) one of the best "true" heavers on the market as of today. There a 60/40 with a 9' top and 4' but. I held one and they are stiff and feel like they have a good back bone to em.

The 1509 is still on the top of my list if I can get a hold of one, but it seems like I'm going with the FM now.

Anyone own one and have any comments about them?

View PostI went to talk to the guy at the shop, and... He has no more SU1509's however he can get some of Tommy Wheeler' blanks. He recommends the "fusion magnum" and the next one up (can't remember the name). He says the he can't get the "nail" anymore (not so sure why).

Their about $100 more than the Rainshadow. But he says that their (in his opinion) one of the best "true" heavers on the market as of today. There a 60/40 with a 9' top and 4' but. I held one and they are stiff and feel like they have a good back bone to em.

The 1509 is still on the top of my list if I can get a hold of one, but it seems like I'm going with the FM now.

Anyone own one and have any comments about them?

Gilmartin21 has a 1509 and a Fusion I believe. I have a 1509 coming shortly and can get one more if your interested. I also have a WRI Nitro and it is a nice blank havent built it yet but have done a good bit of test casting with it. I have a AFAW beach that I am building next, spent a good bit of time with one this weekend. The weight is comprable on teh Beach to most of the WRI rods. It is not quite as stiff as the Fusion or fusion mag. I like the weight of the 1509 and it loads very well with 6oz also. The Nitro also loads well with 6oz and is a good 8n bait rod it has a 50/50 split. A friend of mine says he has even thrown 10oz with it before. I know that the Fusion mag will handle 10n bait no problem and even more. What part of NC are you in? If your intersted in that 1509 pm me.

Botht the Fusion and Fusion Mag will be your best bet if you have the cash and some balls to load em. The Fusion will bite you back when you mis time it but not bad. The next power up from the Mag is the Inferno. The inferno will toss a brick litteraly there is a video of Rod tossing one on youtube. Arch throws an inferno but not too many guys I see throwing that blank. If you got the change you will not be dissapointed with either of the Fusion versions. The 1509 is a bit slower blank but will get the job done nicely also.

The only rods I'll get will be a 60/40 or a one pc.

I live in manteo and want this rod mainly for fishing in hatteras and ocracoke for drum, cobia and shark throwing 8+oz and chunks of bunker, spot and blues with the occasional live bait. And if it makes a difference I will be using either a sealine or a saltist with mono and braided baking.

But now I'm not sure... Which would yall recommend, the FM the inferno or the 1509? I don't wanna spend too much money, but if it will get me that much more I'm all for it. And does the FM come with a warranty? That's another factor.

I think all three of those rods are 9 foot tips with the remainder in the butt section, so traveling with them requires more consideration than a 50/50 split.

I own a 1509 and I love it. I just bought another and am planning to build that one a little differently. It throws 8 a ton and unless you are a really strong caster 10 oz is no problem. Never tried 12 so I can't comment on that.

All that being said, after holding a 1509 for 9 nine hours on the Point it starts to get a little heavy, at which point you realize the benefit of a lighter carbon fiber or all graphite rod. Perhaps one with a lighter tip like a Lami.

I would guess that a built 1509, Fusion Mag or Inferno are all probably about the same price so if you decide that you want a Wheels Reels rod then spend the couple extra bucks and get one.

CJ

i never break my rods down anyway so it really isn't a factor for me.

Yes, but how big of a bait do you use? I use huge chunks and sometimes a live 1lb bluefish (not planning on getting that 100yrds, but would like to get it further than 25yrds). And the weight of the rod doesn't matter.

90% of my fishing is exactly where you are talking about. Ask Wheat if he knows Gilly he'll tell you. For waht you want to do with it the Fusion Mag is your ticket. Wheat will try to sell you on the balistic 40 which is 3 pieces. Just man up and get the Mag. If that is you in your avitar picture you look like you have some shoulders to lay into a cast and you will definaltely be hitting the Mag hard enough with a small drum bait and still be able to toss out the big mullet chunks for cobes. TW's or Jacks are probably the only shops right now who might have one. TW's probably has a couple already wrapped up if you don't want to wait for one. THey did a couple months ago anyway. THe wheeler warrenty is as good as anyone elses and once they ramp up their production again it will not be any issue at all. You will not need the warrenty though on the Mag. I have yet to hear of one breaking. THe inferno is a beast. You can still fish that just as well as the Mag but it will bite back harder and holding it for hous on end will kick your ass. If you know Arch ask him if you can toss his. He drums with a SL20SH and hits his Inferno pretty good. Better then I have seen anyone else. I think it may be his back up now from what I heard but two years ago it was his go to. If you can catch him between charters you can talk to him abou the inferno if you want.

Bottom line from everything you have said and what you want to do your best match is the mag. I can assure you if you are to buy one you will not be dissapointed. Until CTS reengineers their tips stay away. They are not made for point fishing. The 1509 is a great rod but will get spungy after 8-n-bait for a strong caster. The Lami 1502 also will get spongy even after the RDT tip snip.

Well I guess I'll get the FM... TW's was the shop I was at and they have FM's, 1509's, 1508's, 1569's and 1567's already wrapped. I'm in no rush to getting it. Nick at TW's said it'll be a while before he can get any Wheeler blanks and its been 6 months since he last got some. The only blanks he has right now or SU1508's SUR1509's (which I don't want because of the50/50 split) and an AS/SU1508. I'm still not really sure what I want on it as far as reel seats and the grip, I'm still drawing something up for the thread work. So it'd prolly be a good idea to wait anyway...

Thanks to all who helped!