Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
adaboy078

chunking mackeral

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

So I caught some nice size blues tonight and traded them to big group of Armenians on the docks. They where gutting mackerel (about 300 of them) under the lights and when I pulled out the Blues they quickly asked if I was going to keep them. Long story short, I know have a small cooler full of big mackerel heads and half a dozen small full mackerel. Thinking about taking them to the bay side tomorrow night ... heard of hot spot at the bait shop I think might produce some good fish. Any advice on how to fish these things? I was thinking just a fishfinder rig with a 3oz pyramid sinker. Was wondering if I should pick up some floats too and if so what type ... lotta crabs in the area. Thanks gentlemen.

View Postwhat were these american doing with to the mack on the dock? headscratch.gif

edit** how do u know they are american? or were they just white ppl?

can you read? some people eat mack's btw, not me, but some people do it.

Um American. kooky.gif They where "Armenian" ... I talked to them, that's how I know where they were from. They had just chartered a boat and had trash

bags completely full of mackerel that they brought to gut. I eat mackerel all the time, on the grill, can't beat it for a tasty summertime snack. But I was wondering how I could use them as bait.

View PostA R M E N I A N S - people from Armenia cwm15.gif. place hook up lower jaw, through the head.

That's a real harsh way to treat Armenians, maybe French-Canadians, but not Armenians. wink.gif

Adaboy take the heads and run the hook through the eyes or through the snot. A 3 oz sinker will keep it in place. Yes use a fish finder with it. A float is some times a good idea. But some times a float will scare a bass off.

A lot of people will pickle mackerel or smoke it. If you have never tried either variety you should really give it a try.

Didn't even use the mackerel tonight. Didn't have to. Thanks for all the advice though, I'm definitely going to try it in the future. Pickled fish, I'll pass. I don't even like pickled pickles haha Hot grill in tinfoil with a lil' butter and lemon, delicious.