Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ba Ba Buoy

14 posts in this topic

I remember recently a poster whining about getting infraction points for hitting the report post button (this icon for those that aren't familiar report.gif ) on what was later to be determined an unjustified concern. My question is: how legitimate does a post report have to be to not risk an infraction?

I'll plainly admit that I've reported posts and received responses from the higher powers that stated that it wasn't a big deal so don't sweat it, (or something to that effect) and that is fine with me. Now maybe I was misguided or had poor judgment (I was never given an infraction) but I am concerned whether I should bother reporting anything if I'm risking privilegescwm31.gif.

Its been said before don't bother complaining about other members questionable actions if your not going to take the time and effort to report that member. I agree completely with that sentiment, "put up or shut up" right. Is it completely frivolous reports that risk retribution or can folks that simply misunderstand some of the rules get spanked? headscratch.gif

View PostI remember recently a poster whining about getting infraction points for hitting the report post button (this icon for those that aren't familiar report.gif ) on what was later to be determined an unjustified concern. My question is: how legitimate does a post report have to be to not risk an infraction?

I can assure you, nobody here has ever, ever been given an infraction for reporting a post, ever. Whoever claimed they were was either lying or leaving out a good part of the story. The act of reporting a post, no matter how legitimate or superfluous is never going to be penalized and you can quote me on that.

Now, if a report was full of insults, threats, vulgarity, etc. its a different story since, as with PMs, thats sort of stuff won't be tolerated. My guess is that whoever was complaining reported another poster they were arguing with and when the administrator looked at the thread they found that the person that had reported the post had also broken the rules and deserved an infraction. They didn't get the infraction because the reported the post, but they might have brought their own rule-breaking to the attention of an administrator by reporting someone else's post.

View PostI can assure you, nobody here has ever, ever been given an infraction for reporting a post, ever. Whoever claimed they were was either lying or leaving out a good part of the story. The act of reporting a post, no matter how legitimate or superfluous is never going to be penalized and you can quote me on that.

Post reported.

View PostI can assure you, nobody here has ever, ever been given an infraction for reporting a post, ever. Whoever claimed they were was either lying or leaving out a good part of the story. The act of reporting a post, no matter how legitimate or superfluous is never going to be penalized and you can quote me on that.

Now, if a report was full of insults, threats, vulgarity, etc. its a different story since, as with PMs, thats sort of stuff won't be tolerated. My guess is that whoever was complaining reported another poster they were arguing with and when the administrator looked at the thread they found that the person that had reported the post had also broken the rules and deserved an infraction. They didn't get the infraction because the reported the post, but they might have brought their own rule-breaking to the attention of an administrator by reporting someone else's post.

That is what I was thinking probably happenedcwm40.gif. He probably thought he was in the right, reported one post in a thread he had a scuffle in and got infractions for his inappropriate actions in that thread.

Its good to know that there is no risk for whistle blowers. We all want things to flow smoothly but I for one don't want to risk anything by trying to help out. Apparently this concern is misguided and I will start hitting the button every time Wiseguy posts from now on.tongue.gif

View PostI remember recently a poster whining about getting infraction points for hitting the report post button (this icon for those that aren't familiar report.gif ) on what was later to be determined an unjustified concern. My question is: how legitimate does a post report have to be to not risk an infraction?

Whomever was whining about getting the infraction was entirely wrong. There is no infraction for reporting a post. Not sure of the details, but like EB, I give you my word, they are out of their tree, officially icon14.gif

TimS

I feel I'm being made fun of cwm13.gif. I gotta tell ya' I'm a bit hurt frown.gif. I'm giving up fishing and going home crying.gif. I hope you guys are happy with yourselves.

waaah.gif.....waaah.gif.....waaah.gif......:wa ah:......waaah.gif

View PostI feel I'm being made fun of cwm13.gif. I gotta tell ya' I'm a bit hurt frown.gif. I'm giving up fishing and going home crying.gif. I hope you guys are happy with yourselves.

waaah.gif.....waaah.gif.....waaah.gif......:wa ah:......waaah.gif

looky.gif ......... REPORTED........ excessive crying babies.... you know there should only be 1 or 2 .......biggrin.gif