Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Klein

DelMarVa Fishin' Reports; May 18 - May 31

Rate this topic

117 posts in this topic

Fished the surf at 130th street in OC tonight around high tide. Ended up with 2 small skates. I had know clue I even hooked the first one till it was in. Both took a chunk of Bunker. Called it quits after about 2 hours. Beautiful night out on the beach.

Fished yesterday from 630 till 6. Small blues 15-18 inches, doggies and clearnoses. Not a single heavy pull. Fished north of the Bullpen, north of the bird closure and south to the line. Things really slowed up for me when the weather switched.

fished 3rs on saturday morning till about noon....im pretty sure i had my first stripper hit!...i looked over at my rod and my reel was cruising!..i almost lost my rod..by the time i got to the rod it spit the bait frown.gif ...i had another one on and i saw it pop out of the water and lost it...ppl around me were catching rays skates and a few small doggies

View Postfished 3rs on saturday morning till about noon....im pretty sure i had my first stripper hit!...i looked over at my rod and my reel was cruising!..i almost lost my rod..by the time i got to the rod it spit the bait frown.gif ...i had another one on and i saw it pop out of the water and lost it...ppl around me were catching rays skates and a few small doggies

You gotta be careful with them strippers, they sure will do a number on your rod!wink.gif

View Postthere was not one shark or skate caught in two days at AI Va Weird or what there catching them in MD

I was on the AI/VA beach 24/7 from from 5am friday(5/22) untill 5pm sun(5/24) fished two different spots and probably caught 300+(sharks and skates) betwen 5 peopleheadscratch.gif Guess we should have fished where you were because everyone within sight of us was catching them.headscratch.gif

Have one 2 day trip under my belt and have been keeping in contact w/ friends fish'n "south of the border"(MD/VA)...

AI/VA is completely "off the hook"wink.gif this year.

Mother's day weekend spoke to an old salt who's lived down there 45 years...he can NEVER remember it this HOTbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif...

If you are not into a black drum run...wait a bit and the BIG ROCKpig2.gif will swim by...

No issues limiting out...just wait a tide change and different table fare will be bywink.gifcwm40.gifcwm15.gifdrool.gifclapping.gif

Well fished with Chris this weekend on the VA side of AI. Got 1 nice striper at 35 1/2". Smoked the kingfish on peelers. I must have caught 3-4 doz. of them, both northern and southern kings.

A friend got 2 blackies and Chris got a nice striper as well.

I almost forgot, this little lady caught her first striper from the surf 2 weeks ago fishing in a hole I just left and she and her husband pulled right into it. I hadn't caught a decent fish all day. She got a beaut. Anyway, I was fishing this weekend and was surprised to see her and her husband pull up on the beach and fish right next to us. We talked a bit about her striper and me chuming the waters all day for her and she said "now I want a black drum. Well, wouldn't you know it, after chuming the waters all day for her, she gets her first blackie from the surf.

Congrads Mrs. LuckyOC. Good to see you guys this weekend.

We hit AI/VA friday 5am and never left untill sunday 5pm. Myself, my son Christohpher, Fishdaddy,Lineside addict, and several other friends set up on our spot friday am and never left. We literly fished 24/7 for three days during the Capt Steves striper tourny, we caught everything from Stripers to blowtoads.

We ate pretty good to boot, Brats & hot sausages, very fresh Kingfish, home made chicken saled, fried Softshell crabs for dinners. And sasage & egg sandwichs for breakfast.

Overall Had a great time with friends and family.

And Congrats to LuckyOc wife Jess who caught her FIRST Black drum right in the middle of dinner, made for the perfect meal!!clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

Here are a few picks with more to come as soon I get them from others.

100_1978.jpg

40"(even with half its tail gone) 20.5 lbs

100_1983.jpg

Chris Jrs 17" flounder

More to come..

Well I didn't make it down until early Sat morning. The first 10 minutes I was there, I got a 35 1/2" striper. Ronnie gets a couple blalk drum to boot.

I tried to make up for the missed time Sat night. I fished all night alone. Around 2 AM I was fishing a head on the bar and the 525 was sqeelin', I got to the rod and nothing. I reeled it in after a couple of minutes and saw the head was competely crushed. HHHMMM. Rebaited and got nothing else on the heads. Fished live peeler right in the wash. Around 4 AM the Saltist went off. Grab it, set the hook and felt the hook pull right out of the fishes mouth, oh well.

Had a great time with friends and ate well too.

Pics

Took my wife & 2 girls to AI this weekend and camped at Toms Cove, and we had a blast. Fished most of saturday and part of sunday, met up with Fishdaddy, R&R, and Ronnie Saturday evening where "Mrs LuckyOC" got her first Blackykiss.gif. Best part is, the blacky hit when i was down the beach chatting, and she brought it in on a conventional reel (never done that before either).

Had a great time hanging out saturday evening, and fresh kingfish are the best. Girls had a great time, especailly with the blowfish that was caught. Fishdaddy and R&R, honestly are good people and great anglers too.

Oh and the best part for me was Saturday morning when I pulled in a 40 1/2" on my new lami 1502, felt great! First thought she was around 38, but i didnt have my measure (left it at home, again) and used the rod to measurekooky.gif

Overall, great time with good people and friends, and hope for many more.